LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:19:37 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:00:48 -0600 (CST)
>From: Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4916.1 Faculty Development Centers

------------------
We also have a Faculty Multimedia Center, for development of research and
teaching materials.  The Center director has 2 courses off (from a
4-course load) + he gets another course off for being the www.utm.edu main
server Webmaster.  He is an English teacher.  I have not been a
participant in the workshops, but I have encouraged my colleagues to do so
(it's like pulling teeth), because the workshops are quite practical:

UTMartin Faculty Multimedia Center
http://fmc.utm.edu/

It was originally funded with a gift. If our new Chancellor does not do
something to mess this up, the idea behind the thing is quite sound, and
is part of a logical and accomplishable technology strategy.  The FMC
provides the equipment and a place apart for creating multimedia or trying
out special pedagogies.  Adequate faculty desk computers, the equivalent
or slightly better than lab computers provide a way for individual faculty
to plan lessons around multimedia software used in the labs.  Nearly 850
public access computers on campus (5600 students) provide a way for
students to accomplish multimedia homework assignments.

Unfortunately, our campus tends to abandon the most logical plans almost
as soon as they are made, and I hear very little about whether this plan
is still functional.

TBob

Bob Peckham
Director, The Globe-Gate Project