LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:31:02 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:08:28 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Multi- Standard/Region DVD Player

------------------
        I have followed the DVD thread over the last couple of months but
waited to reply until I had received and tested the Panasonic DVD-A300 MU
player. This DVD player will playback in NTSC and PAL and claims to play
back any region code. I have tested it with following titles and formats.

Our Asst. Director Denny Hoopingarner, brought back two DVD tiles from Taiwan.
"Raise The Red Lantern", Region Code "ALL", NTSC,
"Fly Away Home", Region Code "3", NTSC

I also acquired two disks:
"Cool Hand Luke", Region Code "1", NTSC
"Das Boot-The Directors Cut", Region Code "2", PAL
(You can tell which one of us is "married with children" ;-)

        The results were that all disks performed flawlessly. I haven't
found any disks with other region codes yet but I'll keep looking. In the
case of the Das Boot disk the output was in PAL. Since I wanted to install
the player in the equipment rack in our lab so that it can feed 37 A/V
stations, I fed the output of the DVD player into the front inputs of our
rack mounted Panasonic AG-W1 multistandard video player which then
converted it to NTSC. It worked quite well though I'll probably try to find
a different conversion solution which doesn't tie up the AG-W1.

Here's the purchase info.

Product: Panasonic DVD
Model Number: A300MU
Price$640.00
Shipping $25.00
Total: $665.00

Vendor:
J&R Corporate Sales
ATTN: Milton Weiss
15 Park Row
New York, NY
10038
phone:800-221-3191x11637
fax: 212-238-9175

        In summary the Panasonic DVD-A300MU does play NTSC and PAL disks in
at least Region Codes 1,2 and 3. While it may not be the answer to the
SECAM question it does seem to handle everything else. It even has a
Karaoke feature which I'm sure we'll explore at the next LLC staff party
;-) Hope this helps. MVK

Michael V. Kramizeh
Technical Services
Langugage Learning Center