LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:10:24 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Jon Aske" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Jon Aske" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI: Language Learning and Technology" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: request for help choosing language software
>Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:20:02 -0500

------------------
Dear colleagues,

I am finally getting ready to build the CALL lab that I have been telling you about,
but I am still not sure about WHAT SOFTWARE TO GET (primarily for Spanish and French,
but also German and Italian; for Windows).

I am looking primarily for the following:

1) Software for drilling vocabulary and explaining and drilling grammar in a way that
is pleasant, intuitive, and as feedback-rich as possible.  So, say a student needs
help with the preterite or ser-estar, they could practice a certain module of such a
program.  A web-based program would be fine too.  I am sure that there has to be some
perfectly acceptable software packages off-the-shelf out there.  What do people use
and are happy/unhappy with?

2) Online dictionaries, grammar reference, and encyclopedias for those languages.

3) culture-rich software and CD-ROM's to stimulate and provide added input for
beginning and intermediate level students.  How about Let's visit Spain, Let's visit
Mexico, etc.?

4) Pronounciation tutors?

5) Specialized language software, such as Spanish for health professionals.

I would really appreciate any feedback I could get from more experienced lab
directors and other users on the list.  I will summarize the results of off-list
feedback back to the list if there is interest.

Thanks a lot!

Jon
Jon Aske
Assistant Professor, Department of Foreign Languages
Salem State College, Salem, Massachusetts
SB 209A, Phone: (978) 542-4358, Fax: (978) 542-7215
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.salem.mass.edu/~jaske/
Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of
bastards. --R.A. Dickson.