LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:48:51 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Atsushi Fukada) ---

------------------
At 12:01 AM 3/10/99 -0500, Automatic digest processor wrote:

>>Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:39:13 -0600 (CST)
>>From: Alex Kubicek <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Web Browsers and Languages
>

>Hello,
>
>I need to find out more information on how to make our computers able to
>view Japanese and Chinese Characters. We have bought Japanese and Chinese
>Language Kits but what I have noticed with those kits is that you also
>need software which has been localized in those particular languages.
>
>Am I correct in this assumption? Could you give me information on what
>software you would recommend to view Japanese and Chinese.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Alex

If web browsing (i.e. viewing only) is all you care about, you don't even
need the language kits if you have MacOS 8.5.  Just install whatever
languages you need under Multilingual Internet Access.

Atsushi Fukada

Atsushi Fukada, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Japanese and Linguistics
Director, Foreign Language Media Center
Director, Center for Technology-enhanced Language Learning

Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
Purdue University
Stanley Coulter Hall
West Lafayette, IN 47907
U.S.A.

Phone: (765) 496-2259 (direct) / 494-3828 (secretary)
Fax:   (765) 496-1700
e-mail: [log in to unmask] (Japanese OK)