LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:14:44 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (David Herren) ---

[log in to unmask] writes:
>I ran into a little problem recently, and I hope someone can come up with a
>solution. I use lot of embedded audio in my exercise pages, and everything
>worked out fine until I installed the QT plug-in for Netscape so that I can
>embed QuickTime movies in the same page. Embedded QuickTime movies work fine.
>However, in Windows at least, the QT plug-in takes over playing the embedded
>audio as well. My question is this: is it possible to set up the Netscape
>preferences so that embedded and linked audio (LiveAudio) is handled by the
>Netscape LiveAudio plug-in, and let the QT plug-in handle only the MOV files?
>I tried to do this in a variety of ways with no success. The "edit" option is
>not available when I want to specify another plug-in for playing WAV and AIF
>files. I created a new one and specified Netscape as the application to handle
>those files, again no luck. Can anyone think of a good solution short of
>removing the QT plug-in?

You could try using the Quicktime control panel in windows, and selecting the File Type Associations. In that setting you have the option of turning off the Windows file types. I haven't confirmed that this will work, but you didn't mention that you had
already tried it and it didn't...

You might also simply try reinstalling the LiveAudio plugin.

--
David D. Herren                          www.cet.middlebury.edu/herren
Assoc. Dir. for Tech. & Instruction      [log in to unmask]