LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:53:32 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "William Haworth" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "William Haworth" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ReCALL Special Edition - Final Call for Papers
>Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:00:49 -0000

ReCALL Special Edition

EXTENDED FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS

In response to several requests for an extension of the February 26th deadline, we have agreed to set a revised Final Submission deadline for the ReCALL Special Edition on Friday March 12th. Please note that this is for full papers.

The text of the original Call for Papers follows:

In association with the WELL project, the CTI Centre for Modern Languages and EUROCALL plan to publish a third issue of ReCALL in the summer of 1999, which will be a Web-only issue. William Haworth, Director of the WELL project, will be the guest editor.

Authors interested in presenting papers are invited to submit papers before February 26th 1999 (now extended to March 12th). All proposals will of course be refereed in the normal way by the international Academic Advisory Panel of ReCALL. Notification of accepted papers will be given by April 26th.
Papers will be published on the WELL web site on July 30th 1999.

Theme

The use of telematic support for language learning and teaching, with an emphasis on experience with learners, and related issues. The focus is not exclusively on exemplary practice, of which there is relatively little to date: the technologies have not been in place long enough. The emphasis is on good learning rather than on high technology.  An important element in the development of web-enhanced language learning is the identification of the negative implications of the use of new technologies, and papers identifying the negative implications of the use of new technologies are also welcome.

Topics

Enhancing Learning
Curriculum innovations
Integration of C&IT in the language curriculum
Assessment
Students as authors
Effectiveness of online learning
Supporting learner autonomy
Impact on staff
Impact on teacher role
Learning to use telematic resources and tools
Learning to author
Paper to online
New electronic academic communities
Authoring tools
Use of templates for exercise creation
Incorporating multimedia
Page creation and maintenance
Virtual environments
Collaborative learning and working over networks
Email exchanges
MOOs, IRC
Institutional responses
ICT strategies
Competition or collaboration
New opportunities, new problems
Copyright
Access

Abstracts should be submitted in accordance with the ReCALL Notes for Contributors available at
http://www.hull.ac.uk/cti/eurocall/recall/contrib.htm

Papers may be submitted in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. If your paper is in a language other than English, please submit a 300-word abstract in English together with your paper.

EDITORIAL PANEL

June Thompson, William Haworth, Eric Bel, David Cowling, Michael Shade

Details of the ReCALL Editorial Board and Academic Advisory Panel are
available at
http://www.hull.ac.uk/cti/eurocall/recall/edboard.htm

SCHEDULE/DATES

February 26th 1999 Deadline for submission (now extended to March 12th).
April 26th 1999 Notification to authors
July 30th 1999 Publication on WELL site http://www.well.ac.uk/ReCALL

WHO SHOULD SUBMIT

Academic staff working in language teaching at all levels, with particular but not exclusive emphasis on HE
Researchers
Learning support staff
Academic managers

INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR PROPOSAL

Title of paper:
Author's name:
Author's academic title(s)/rank or position:
Author's college, department, or organisation:
Author's postal (campus/business) address:
Author's email (and WWW address if available):
Brief biographical details

All presenters will be expected to respond to private and public email questions and comments from readers concerning their papers.

William Haworth
WELL Project Director
School of Modern Languages
John Moores University