LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:50:58 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Virginia Lewis <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:20:28 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Virginia Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Position Announcement

------------------
As a few of you know, I am leaving Southwestern at the end of this semester
to go to a broader-based faculty development/distance learning position.
Following is the announcement for the position at Southwestern.  While it
has been downgraded somewhat from the position which I hold (which includes
faculty status and which reports to the Provost rather than the Asst.
Provost) it could still be a good position for someone, particularly
someone who is more technically oriented than academically oriented.  The
proposal which I was brought here to implement to move lower level language
courses to four credit hours through focused interactive multimedia passed
the Academic Affairs Council in December and the faculty as a whole a week
ago yesterday.  We have done a great deal of inhouse multimedia development
(Libra and the web) which needs to be augmented/revised during the summer
(Spanish curriculum has undergone rigorous beta test and is ready to be
professionalized).  There is a great deal to be done.  The faculty here is
committed (they are young and largely tenured and have been incredibly
supportive of this initiative).  I will quite frankly really miss them!
(But we will remain in close touch.)  The Asst. Provost (to whom the
position will report) is a good friend and extremely supportive.  I'll be
happy to answer questions you might have.  You can email me at either
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]  (This is a 40 station
Mac lab, by the way, with a Tandberg IS-10 audio/video system - we use the
latter very little as we are very close to 100% digital now....We run some
Chinese software on the PC side, but we are mostly Mac.)

Virginia

Director of Language Learning Center

Southwestern University seeks a Director of the Language Learning Center.
Established in 1996 and housed in a $6.7 million F.W. Olin Building, the
Language Learning Center serves the primary purpose of enhancing and
supporting the teaching and learning of foreign language by facilitating
the integration into foreign language courses of appropriate
technology-based teaching and learning strategies.

The Director of the Language Learning Center reports to the Assistant
Provost and works closely with the Chair of the Department of Modern
Languages as well as faculty within that department.  Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:  day-to-day management of the
Center, instruction of faculty and students in the use of all multimedia
hardware and software, design and implementation of systems for effective
Center operation, support of faculty in their teaching of foreign language
through effective and pedagogically-sound integration of technology, and
development of multimedia products for foreign language classes.

Qualifications:  Applicants must have demonstrated expertise in
instructional technologies, a thorough knowledge of current and projected
audio, video and digital multimedia language learning resources, experience
in working with faculty in a multimedia environment, and excellent oral,
written and interpersonal communication skills.  Advanced degree in
relevant field is desirable.

Southwestern University is a selective, four-year, undergraduate, national
liberal arts college located in Georgetown, Texas, 28 miles north of
Austin, the state capital.  Affiliated with the United Methodist Church, it
has more than 1200 students, the enrollment level called for in the
university's master plan.  Southwestern's annual operating budget is
approximately $40 million with a permanent endowment fund of more that $337
million.  The University recently announced the successful completion of a
capital campaign with more than $92 million raised.  For more information
about Southwestern University, visit our web site at www.southwestern.edu.

Letter of application, resume, salary history and requirement, and the
names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references
may be faxed to (512)863-1436, or sent by mail to:

Director of Language Learning Center
                        Job #9858
                        Southwestern University
                        Dept. of Human Resources
                        P.O. Box 770
                        Georgetown, TX 78627-0770

Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.  Southwestern University is an equal opportunity
employer.

Virginia L. Lewis
Director
Language Learning Center
Asst. Professor of Modern and Classical Languages
Southwestern University
P.O. Box 770
Georgetown, TX 78627-0770

512-863-1802; -1808 (Center)