LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:50:48 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Andrew Ross <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Andrew Ross <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 2-byte printing issues
>Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:06:00 -0500

Hi, All:

Our Japanese section (all one of him) is experiencing some technical
difficulties.  We're in the throes of finding a suitable solution, and I
wanted to get some input from the LLTI group.

He is presently using a Mac PowerPC 7400/100 (72Mb RAM) with OS 8.0, the
updated  Japanese Language Kit, EGWord 8.0/EGBridge 9.0.  Apart from
processor speed, the setup seems to be working.  Issues arise when he
tries to print (not from EGWord, but from the Web) to our networked HP
LaserJet 4Si MX.  This activity regularly ends up choking the printer
with 1.4Mb files, and nobody else can print until the job is purged.  In
a lab setup such as ours, this means that students can't print, either.
I have suggested that he copy J-text from the Web into EGWord and print
from there, but this may be complicating matters too much for a person
who's not especially tech-savvy, although generally willing to try new
things.

We got him a surplused LaserWriter IINT, which seemingly can't manage
2-byte characters -- any print command crashes the open application,
whether it's JSimpleText or EGWord.  So, here's my question:  he needs
both Japanese and English word-processing and printing capabilities, and
we seem to have trouble integrating both languages on his desktop and in
the printers.  In the best of all possible worlds, what's the solution
for him?

1.  Get him an iMac, install the Japanese version of OS 8.5 from
AsiaSoft, EGWord, etc. and a local inkjet printer (total cost around
$2k).  Let him keep the 7400 for English stuff.

2.  Get him a moderately-priced laser or inkjet printer and cut him off
from the networked printer?

3.  Find some other elegantly technical solution that doesn't involve
buying anything?   Suggestions will be much appreciated . . .

Please reply off-list if this post is of limited interest . . .

Best,

Andrew
Dr. Andrew F. Ross
Multimedia Language Lab