LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:13:03 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:08:34 +0000
>From: Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4845.4 Any labs using iMacs? (!)

--------------2458AEA6B733409648F55836

Otmar,

I found your information on developments on the Mac side of things
fascinating. I do have a question, however, about how student input or
student interaction works in these environments. When a publisher's tape
is made available in QT3, how is student input handled? Is it recorded
and stored on the individual machine's hard drive, can it be written to
the server and easily played back, similar to a regular lab environment?
Can the recording easily include the master track with the student's
voice? Are these sorts of activities what you were referring to when you
spoke of the "lab" being "a production point, delivery point, and
testing point"? I probably got confused when you referred to the "lab",
which I understand you to mean as the turn-key type system (analog or
digital) which most of us have today.

Just curious, but how far do you (and other LLTIers) think we are from
being able to do without the turn-key systems and move completely to a
standard computer environment for "lab" and computer activities?

Thank you again for the information on developments on the Mac side.
Beth

Beth Secrist, Director
Language Resource Center
Dept. of Modern Foreign Langs. & Lits.
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN  37996

--------------2458AEA6B733409648F55836

begin:vcard
n:Secrist;Beth
tel;fax:(423)974-2313
tel;work:(423)974-6494
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:web.utk.edu/~bsecrist
org:University of Tennessee;Dept. of Modern Foreign Langs. & Lits
adr:;;701 McClung Tower;Knoxville;Tennessee;37996;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[log in to unmask]
title:Director, Language Resource Center
x-mozilla-cpt:;1
fn:Beth Secrist
end:vcard

--------------2458AEA6B733409648F55836--