LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:13:01 EST
--- Forwarded Message from André Weijermars <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:43:40 +0100
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: André Weijermars <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4838 Ideas & materials for teaching pupils with special educational needs

------------------
Hi Chris,

Reading in a second language can be very time-consuming. A simple solution
to support the readers is to provide a online dictionary. This can be a
very advanced system but a computer based training program that offers
vocabulary needed in start and target language together with one or more
sentences that make clear how to use these words can be very effective and
also be attractive to the learner.

We developeded a computer based training (CBT) program that teaches Dutch
terminology in English, people liked to use it. It offers a Dutch word or
wordgroup, the English corresponding terminology and a context in English.
The content of the CBT can be extended or renewd.

The CBT offers a listing of the words which are in a specific lesson, you
can learn the words, practice with multiple choice or fill-in, test what
you allready know and save the unknown words (you can practice these a next
time) and a game-like setting in which you have to decide if a matching
pair of words is correct.

The CBT offers a very pleasant look-and-feel. It's very easy to use.
Contrary to other CBT programs it's *not* timeconsuming to draw up the
content. All you have to do as a teacher is to draw up some lists of words.
The CBT does the rest.
At the moment a Macintosh version is available. We plan to transport the
CBT program to the Windows platform.

As I said the CBT is currently in use for training lawers Dutch Terminology
in English and at the University of Leiden for training archeologist in
reading Cuneiform Script.

Sincerely,

André Weijermars

>I work in a mainstream school in England teaching French and Spanish to 11
>to 16 year olds. The school is in a very deprived area and pupils are very
>demotivated towards learning languages.  The ability range goes from nearly
>illiterate to just about able pupils.  Therefore I am very keen to collect
>ideas on motivating and helping these pupils to achieve something they can
>be proud of.  I would also be interested in any ICT ideas for our pupils and
>any ideas on how to write materials specifically aimed at low ability
>pupils. Reading and writing is particularly difficult.  Any help would be
>gratefully appreciated.  By the way I read all the messages and follow links
>with great interest.  Thanks to you all.
>Rachel.

--------------------------

drs. André B. J. M. Weijermars
FOAM flexible learning

Computer Based Training of Terminology and Language Special Purposes in
Second Language

Postbox 418
2300 AK Leiden
Netherlands

Phone:    +31 (0)71 524  0087     **** NEW ***
Phone:    +31 (0)71 527 7096       **** OLD ***
Phone:    +31 (0)71 522 5995 (home)
Mobile:   +31 06 513 98 225

Member of the Advisory Board NL-TERM, Vereniging voor Nederlandstalige
Terminologie
http://www.nlterm.org

Member of the Working Group PAD 'Programmatuur, apparatuur en
datatransmissie',  VOGIN
VOGIN, Nederlandse Vereniging van Gebruikers van Online Informatiesystemen
http://www.vogin.nl/werkgr/wg-pad.htm

Participant of SOIL, Spin-Off Initiative Leiden
Universiteit Leiden, Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science
http://www.soil.nl