LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:19:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig) ---

[log in to unmask] writes:
>--- Forwarded Message from Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:06:59 -0700
>>From: Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: RE: #4864 subtitles
>>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>
>-------------------
>Most new televisions today in the US display close-captioning without the
>need for any additional hardware.
>
>Mike
>Michael Bush
>Associate Professor of French and
>Instructional Psychology and Technology
>http://moliere.byu.edu/digital/

According to one of our ESL students who researched this matter because he
was interested in watching videotapes of newscasts with close-captioning,
this is true for larger TVs but not for smaller ones.   But what
experiences do LLTI subscribers have with close-captioning on videotapes
and multi-media monitors in a lab setting?

Gordon Hartig
Language Lab Coordinator
Middlesex Community College
33 Kearney Square