LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:49:24 EST
--- Forwarded Message from SJ Stauffer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:26:24 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: SJ Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4851 IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)

------------------
Re:  IPA on the web

If you go to this very crude page
  <http://www.georgetown.edu/users/stauffes/sil3.html>
you will see some simple words with their pronunciations given in IPA.
Within the HTML file I specified the font that the browser should use
(using the font tag and the attribute face="SILDoulos IPA93"); the IPA
displays correctly on my monitor, but unless you have the correct fonts
installed on your machine, you will not see IPA.

(I have included a gif of what the display will look like when the fonts
are correctly installed.)

The fonts I'm using are free, and are available for both PCs and Macs (try
<http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/encore-ipa.html>.  Once those fonts are
installed on the machines in your Language Center, any web pages that
specify those fonts will display correctly.  (Some browsers require that
the user go the View/Character Set and choose the "user-defined" option in
order to override the browser's default fonts.)

For users outside the center or off-campus, a link to the font-download
page should be included on the web page with the IPA.  Interested parties
could install them as needed.

Have you tried the Linguist List's information page on fonts, by the way?

<http://www.philol.msu.ru/linguist/fonts.html>

There are a number of different IPA fonts, both for Windows and for Mac,
available free here for downloading.

What do students/instructors need to do with the IPA?  Is being able to
view the characters adequate, or will they need to key in and submit IPA
characters (as answers to an exercise, for example)?

--Stephanie Stauffer
  Stephanie J. Stauffer
  PhD candidate, Applied Linguistics

  Georgetown University