LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 12:25:48 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Dallas Kenny <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>We are currently reviewing our policy regarding video duplication in
>regards to language lab use. Does anyone have a model statement concerning
>this? It's my understanding that if we own the video program we're allowed
>to make 1 copy for archival purposes. Thanks!

An additional question:

We have had many requests from Faculty both for the duplication of videos
and the copying of TV programs (or small parts thereof). Usually we own the
video in question, but occasionally we are asked to copy an original or a
copy owned by faculty members.

The intended use is:

1. Faculty review of videos/TV programs to see if they are suitable for
instruction purposes.
2. For use in a class.

Questions:

Is it sufficient to have faculty sign a Fair Use waiver form stating the
limitations of use for the copy provided?

Are copies to be kept/returned/destroyed after use?

Do you make a distinction between copying of Lab owned videos and patron
owned videos (both for "take home" use outside the Lab)?

What about policy for the copying of TV programs, or for TV snippets
intended for inclusion in lessons (not for commerial software development)?

Does someone have policy statements for waiver forms that would be useful
to us?

Thanks, Dallas

Dallas Kenny, PhD
Director