LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 12:25:44 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Charles Oliver Wolff <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>1.) We want to start introducing Imacs into our network but Imacs cannot
>accomodate the TV tuner cards. Therefore we need to find another solution.

I read with great disturbance the apparently huge investment being made in
iMacs as serious lab machines. iMacs are the next generation Performa (and
we should've learned from that!): limited in scope and ultimately not
upgradeable. They are a consumer grade machine designed to get the average
home user on the web. If you have heavy traffic in your facility and expect
the useful life of hardware to be relatively short, that's not a big
deal...you'll be replacing them fairly soon anyway. If not, and you insist
on using Macs, better to invest in G3's, although the repair statistics on
these are frighteningly high (but when they're right, they're awesome).

>2.) The AMLS (Apple Multimedia Learning System) is not compatible with Mac
>OS 8.0 or greater. So far we have not found a piece of software that will
>allow us to stream audio and video from various devices. Apple Network
>Assistant allows controlling/Observing  features but not the streaming
>features.

Mac OS 8.x has caused a great deal of trouble, but that's not very unusual
when a new major version of an OS is released. The downward compatibility
of Wintel systems is much better, but again, not entirely foolproof.

Although Wintel platforms are not as easily configured as Macs, the "bang
for the buck" issue far exceeds what Apple can do (I use both platforms at
home and at work). An NT server running RealServer software will allow you
to stream audio and video over the network...that's only one solution which
requires file preparation so it might not be suited for your video needs.
More economical would be to install an RF generator for video distribution
to the tuner cards. There are all kinds of server software available for
streaming audio or video from an NT platform, but personally, for economic
reasons (and ease of configuration and maintenance) I'd stick with a
RealServer for content that's strictly audio and an RF generator for video
with embedded audio. With 39 machines, you'll want and "industrial
strength" RF generator...so don't go shopping at Radio Shack!

>3.) The Waterloo MacJanet server software does not support Mac OS 8.0 or
>greater.  Up to this point, we have not found software that will give us
>great protection and keep a log file of users. Professors of students using
>the lab usually request attendance records for their students.

Windows NT will keep a access log which can be used to generate attendance
records. I haven't kept up with every new piece of software that allows
remote access to a client machine, but there are many, many of them; there
seem to be a few released every month. Some limit their scope to simple
observation of a user's desktop while others will indeed allow you to "take
over" and assist. As far as security goes, no system is entirely
bulletproof. NT is darn close to it, though...

>->  It would be very much appreciated if you could answer any of the
>questions above or offer any other helpful information.  Furthermore, any
>information regarding the performance of Imacs in networking environments
>would most helpful.

iMacs seem to do quite well in networking environments. My major concerns
with them have already been discussed above...

Charles Wolff

>Jim Anstey
>
>James R. Anstey
>Programmer Consultant
>Language Laboratories
>Memorial University of Newfoundland

Charles Wolff

*** ZONE FORECAST ***

NYZ022>025-044>046-055>057-062-PAZ038>040-081600-
BRADFORD-BROOME-CHEMUNG-CHENANGO-CORTLAND-DELAWARE-OTSEGO-SCHUYLER-
STEUBEN-SULLIVAN NY-SUSQUEHANNA-TIOGA NY-TOMPKINS-WAYNE PA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BINGHAMTON...CORNING...CORTLAND...ELMIRA...
HONESDALE...ITHACA...MONTICELLO...MONTROSE...NORWICH...ONEONTA...
OWEGO...TOWANDA...WATKINS GLEN
323 AM EST MON FEB 8 1999

.TODAY...BECOMING MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGH 30 TO 35. NORTH WIND AROUND 10
MPH.
.TONIGHT...BECOMING CLOUDY. LOW IN THE MIDDLE 20S. SOUTH WIND 5
TO 10 MPH.
.TUESDAY...A CHANCE FOR SPRINKLES OR FLURRIES IN THE MORNING
OTHERWISE PARTLY SUNNY. HIGH 35 TO 40.