LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:59:16 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bernd Conrad <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:21:25 -0700
>From: Bernd Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Any labs using iMacs?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
A few observations in regard to the recent iMac related postings by Anstey,
Szendeffy, and Wolff.

1) As the technical support person: The 6 (Rev A) iMacs in my lab have been
performing without problems since I installed them last September.
Upgrading from Mac OS 8.1 to 8.5.1 resulted in improvements in network
access and file transfer (AppleShare file server and client to RealNetworks
audio/video server).

2) As the lab budget manager: I figured if I have to replace a G3 class
computer due to "premature" obsolence, I would rather have to replace a
$999 than a $1,999 machine.

3) As a technical advisor: In regard to the loss of LC630 TV/tuner card
capability, I would look into the feasability of feeding the live TV
broadcast into a RealNetworks server (NT or Unix) which is technically
possible. In my experimentation with web-based streaming media in an
intranet environment (switched 10Mbps Ethernet) I have seen very good
results with streaming video (iMac clients), though limited to a 288x192
window size. Switched FastEthernet would improve on this. I would plan for
additional improvements over the quality of RealNetworks streamed video
that will come with QuickTime 4.0's streaming server technology soon
(hardware and software). In sum: If I were to face a major lab overhaul in
1999, I would plan for a AppleShare file server or web-based client/server
solution for access to video. The money saved from buying under-$1,000
client hardware (iMac) that can also function as a standalone multimedia
computer can be invested in a dedicated streaming server and switched
FastEthernet.

4) As the technical support person and subscriber to this list: In addition
to the six original iMacs, there are three 333MHz G3 minitowers in my lab.
Even though the minitowers have yet to break down, I would like to prepare
for the need for future repairs. Therefore, I would be grateful if Charles
O. Wolff would reveal the source for his observation that "repair
statistics on these [G3s] are frighteningly high."

Bernd Conrad
Director, Language Learning Center
Northern Arizona University