LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 12:26:13 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 08:57:59 -0600
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4847 Fair use policy for video duplication

------------------
Copyright law does not give you a right to make an archival copy of a video tape.  Most tapes sell "for the life of the tape" and since an archival copy would extend that life, you can see part of the problem.

Around here, we have thousands of videotapes.  We analyzed the cost of making copies (assuming we could even justify it on copyright grounds), and found that it costs as much if not more to make the copies (materials and personnel time, including cataloging, storing, etc.) than it would simply to buy a replacement should the original become damaged or stolen.  In several years, we've only had problems with a handful of tapes, and those were replaced immediately by buying a new copy.

I realize there can be some problems with this approach, but it does meet copyright restrictions.  The bottom line, as I understand it, is that archival copies really aren't permitted under copyright law.

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 02/08/99 07:43AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Kevin C. Carroll" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:59:47 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Kevin C. Carroll" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fair use policy for video duplication

------------------
We are currently reviewing our policy regarding video duplication in
regards to language lab use. Does anyone have a model statement concerning
this? It's my understanding that if we own the video program we're allowed
to make 1 copy for archival purposes. Thanks!

Kevin C. Carroll
Senior Electronic Technician

Wayne State University
Foreign Language Technology Center