LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 08:43:07 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jim Anstey <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 20:07:30 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Jim Anstey <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4821.1 Any labs using iMacs? (!)

------------------
Hi,

It would be very helpful to me if you could answer a few questions that I
have with regards to your language laboratory. I have recently been
appointed as programmer consultant at the Multimedia Language Centre at
Memorial University and I have the task of upgrading our lab.

The lab consists of about 30 Macintosh LC630s and 9 PowerMac 6100s. They
are part of a LAN run from a MacIntosh 9100 server. We are using Waterloo
MacJanet as our Server Software. Also connected to the LAN are three
audio/video devices: a VHS, a Videodisc, and a VideoCamera. We are using a
piece of software called Apple Multimedia Learning System to administer
these devices. This software allows us to stream video and audio out to the
stations along with allowing us to control/observe stations. There are also
TV tuner Cards in all of the LC630s which allows the students access to
several French TV stations.

Here is our dilema:

1.) We want to start introducing Imacs into our network but Imacs cannot
accomodate the TV tuner cards. Therefore we need to find another solution.

2.) The AMLS (Apple Multimedia Learning System) is not compatible with Mac
OS 8.0 or greater. So far we have not found a piece of software that will
allow us to stream audio and video from various devices. Apple Network
Assistant allows controlling/Observing  features but not the streaming
features.

3.) The Waterloo MacJanet server software does not support Mac OS 8.0 or
greater.  Up to this point, we have not found software that will give us
great protection and keep a log file of users. Professors of students using
the lab usually request attendance records for their students.

4.) Right now the entire network consists of Macintosh machines and I
wonder if, by using only Macs, I am limiting the potential of the lab. Any
comments about the use of IBM compatibles versus the use of MACs would be
very much appreciated.

->  It would be very much appreciated if you could answer any of the
questions above or offer any other helpful information.  Furthermore, any
information regarding the performance of Imacs in networking environments
would most helpful.

Jim Anstey

James R. Anstey
Programmer Consultant