LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:51:21 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Amy Meckelborg) ---

>Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:36:03 -0600
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Amy Meckelborg)
>Subject:  Re: #4821.3 Any labs using iMacs?

What a timely thread! We have a lab of LC-575s and have just received funds
to upgrade. Immediately of course!

We are considering iMacs but I have a few questions that maybe someone has
already found the answers to.

1. With the LC-575s we have never been able to solve the problem of an
adaquate headset with a microphone that works. Is there a compatible
headset with the iMac?  How do others address the voice recording needs in
a Mac lab?

2. I'd be interested in hearing from folks who are using a digital lab with
Macs. What software, hardware are you working with and how do the teachers
use it? Is this a possibility with the iMac? I'm not very familiar with
this area and would appreciate any sources of information so I can learn
more.

3. I've only used an iMac once but was struck by its size (or lack of!)
Ours is not an academic setting, our students are adults of all ages who
are newcomers to Canada.  I'm concerned about some of our students having
difficulty with the small keyboard and mouse of the iMac. Any comments?

4.   If we don't go with iMacs, what  other models would you recommend for
upgrading?

I'm glad to read the comments from others re the iMac. I'm sorry I don't
have much to offer at this time, except more questions!

Amy