LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:52:21 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Charles Oliver Wolff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:40:20 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Charles Oliver Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4824.1 (URGENT!) audio files on Windows (!)

------------------
For the Wintel platform, probably the most affordable pro quality software
is CoolEdit, available at http://www.syntrillium.com

Charles

At 08:15 AM 1/29/99 EST, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Bernd Conrad <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:24:53 -0700
>>From: Bernd Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: #4824 (URGENT!) audio files on Windows
>>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>
>------------------
>Late last fall I eprimented with Iomega's RecordIt 1.0 software for the
>Macintosh (also available for Windows). The recording time is only limited
>by the size of the hard disk/removable storage in your system. The software
>employs a caseette deck user interface. There are four audio quality
>(compression) levels, ranging from a near audio-CD quality (very good) to
>something that sounds like a RealAudio file optimized for a 14.4 modem
>transmission (very bad). At all four levels, the recording is compressed on
>the fly (in real time) and can be played back immediately.
>
>As far as networking is concerned, I tested recording my voice directly to
>an AppleShare file server in a 10BaseT switched ethernet network and
>experienced no problems, not even at the high quality/high data rate
>setting. I have not had a chance yet to do the network test with several
>simultaneous recordings to the file server.
>
>The software lists for $39.95 but for a time it was available for free at
>Iomega's web. You filled out some sort of customer profile form first (the
>catch) and then were taken to the free download page. I do not know if this
>"promo" is still available.
>
>Bernd Conrad
>Dir./LLC
>Northern Arizona University
>
>>--- Forwarded Message from "Dick Kuettner"
>>

>>What Windows program (free or otherwise) is the best for me to use to
>>capture, compress, and store for later review of audio files of my
>>students?  I have in the past used the insert function in MSWord but
>>the recordings are limited to a max of 30 seconds.  I used this for
>>composition grading and students, as a result, were required to use
>>all four base skills in writing and rewriting their compositions.
>>I'm looking for something that provides me with more record time
>>and is networkable.
>>
>>Are we talking web, macromedia?  Any clues......
>>
>>Thanks for your help.
>>
>>Dick

Charles Wolff

*** ZONE FORECAST ***

NYZ015>017-022>025-055-PAZ038-271600-
BRADFORD-CHEMUNG-SCHUYLER-SENECA-SOUTHERN CAYUGA-STEUBEN-TIOGA NY-
TOMPKINS-YATES-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...AUBURN...CORNING...ELMIRA...ITHACA...
OWEGO...PENN YAN...SENECA FALLS...TOWANDA...WATKINS GLEN
348 AM EST WED JAN 27 1999

.TODAY...SOME MORNING SUN THEN THICKENING CLOUDS WITH A CHANCE OF
AFTERNOON RAIN SHOWERS.  HIGH AROUND 40.  SOUTHEAST WIND 5 TO 15 MPH.
CHANCE OF RAIN 30 PERCENT.
.TONIGHT....CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF LIGHT RAIN OR SNOW.
LOW IN THE MID 30S.  SOUTHEAST WIND AROUND 10 MPH BECOMING
NORTHWEST.  CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40 PERCENT.
.THURSDAY...CONTINUED CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS.
TEMPERATURES REMAINING IN THE MID 30S.  CHANCE OF SNOW 30 PERCENT.