LLTI Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:47:13 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Olaf Bohlke <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 23:14:40 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Olaf Bohlke <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4810.1 SUMMARY - Free Japanese fonts for browsing the WWW on Win95?

------------------
I have received a couple of very helpful tips to my original request about
free fonts for browsing the web in Japanese on a Win95 machine.

The first one was posted on LLTI, Robert Smitheram pointing into the right
direction that Microsoft's IE offers the fonts from their site.
The second one I want to share with you came from Kimi Furuta
(http://www.mala.bc.ca/~furutak/jp-home.htm) who's reply was very detailed
and led to immediate success.

>Olaf,
>
>I'm a language instructor and no expert of the issue, but I would like to
share what we are doing here at Malaspina.

>If you are using Internet Explore 4.0 or above, you can download
>Japanese Language Support from Microsoft free.  If you download Global IME
for Japanese as well, then you can also type Japanese character directly
into Email (Outlook Express or Outlook 98 only) and web forms.  You can
download Global IME at
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/features/ime.asp  As for the
>language pack, you can download it from
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/all.htm?bShowPage  Choose
"Add-on Windows Internet Features for Internet Explorer 4.0."

>The fonts that come with Japanese Language Support from Microsoft
>site also can be used in Netscape Communicator 4.0.  You set the fonts for
Japanese encoding in preference of the View menu to Japanese font.
>Also, you have to set "language encoding" to "Japanese (Autoselect)."
>
>(snip)

After you have downloaded the Japanese fonts with IE 4 (PS.using Netscape
does NOT work), you'll find the "Msgothic" Japanese font in the
Windows\fonts  folder. It's a bit over 4 Mb big. This font can then be used
by the OTHER browser as well.

Thank you very much.

Olaf Bohlke
Hitchcock Language Resource Center