LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:15:33 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bernd Conrad <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:24:53 -0700
>From: Bernd Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4824 (URGENT!) audio files on Windows
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Late last fall I eprimented with Iomega's RecordIt 1.0 software for the
Macintosh (also available for Windows). The recording time is only limited
by the size of the hard disk/removable storage in your system. The software
employs a caseette deck user interface. There are four audio quality
(compression) levels, ranging from a near audio-CD quality (very good) to
something that sounds like a RealAudio file optimized for a 14.4 modem
transmission (very bad). At all four levels, the recording is compressed on
the fly (in real time) and can be played back immediately.

As far as networking is concerned, I tested recording my voice directly to
an AppleShare file server in a 10BaseT switched ethernet network and
experienced no problems, not even at the high quality/high data rate
setting. I have not had a chance yet to do the network test with several
simultaneous recordings to the file server.

The software lists for $39.95 but for a time it was available for free at
Iomega's web. You filled out some sort of customer profile form first (the
catch) and then were taken to the free download page. I do not know if this
"promo" is still available.

Bernd Conrad
Dir./LLC
Northern Arizona University