LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:15:41 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Jackie M. Tanner" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:29:50 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Jackie M. Tanner" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: ABC article on foreign language computing (fwd)

I thought the following article might be of general interest (see below,
for URL & article). I began inputting Chinese characters into the computer
10 years ago, but this is the first article I've seen from a major media
source on this issue. Though purporting to discuss non-Latin scripts, the
gist of the article is informative to anyone who communicates via
computer, whether Arabic, French, or Math. The Unicode encoding scheme
mentioned near the end of the article is being fully implemented
(finally!) in the next big releases of Windows and Macintosh operating
systems later this year. Unicode will allow multiple languages and scripts
(not to mention scientific and linguistic notation) to coexist within a
single computer document. Though of most noticeable benefit to non-Latin
scripts, one of Unicode's strongest supporters has been the European Trade
Commission because of its members' need to communicate with each other
(and someday they would also like to be able to type their unit of
currency, the euro :^).=20

For the original article, point your browser to:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/tech/DailyNews/scripts990127.html

Chris DeLucia
CBB Mellon