LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:15:39 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Donald K. Wagner) ---

>Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:44:05 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum                 <[log in to unmask]>
>From: [log in to unmask] (Donald K. Wagner)
>Subject: Re: #4821.1 Any labs using iMacs? (!)

------------------
We have an iMac G3/233s lab (22), ethernet 10/100BT, 5 machines to a pod (4
pods), one teacher's workstation, on consultant station.

Running MacOS 8.5, memory=96meg, 6gig hard drives, and 24x CD-Roms, Imation
floppy drives (which also read Imation 120mg SuperDisks in addition to High
Density floppies); files shared from both a Novell 4.1 server and an
Appleshare 6.1, with ANAT.

All Mac Apps software runs (works with old .xtnd power enablers & language
software extensions); use Assimilator for refreshing system folder, Virtual
PC w/ Win95, and Communicator 4.03.  Some infrequent problems with
Communicator freezing on Java applet sites; One iMac was dead out of the
box--replaced under warranty; one recently had a monitor fail (after 1
semester use).

Overall, good rating, low maintenance.  Easy to administer with Network
Assistant.  Some difficulty in installing memory upgrades (similar to old
SEs).

don

Donald K. Wagner                                [log in to unmask]
Manager, HBC Multimedia Labs
College of Arts & Sciences                      Fax:  315-443-5376
340A HB Crouse Hall
Syracuse University                             Phone:  315-443-4946
Syracuse, New York  13244
http://lang.syr.edu/lll/don.html

'96 VFR 750F (17,880 mi)
'93 GoldWing GL1500 SE (68,765 mi)