LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:29:58 EST
I post these questionnaires and surveys with some reluctance. I would appreciate some feedback from subscribers whether they will tolerate surveys of this type in the future or not. I do not mind posting them - but I have this gut feelings that our readership might prefer a message referring to the survey and execute the survey on a web page somewhere - if interested.

Otmar Foelsche

--- Forwarded Message from "=?windows-1250?Q?Petr_Borovi=E8ka?=" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "=?windows-1250?Q?Petr_Borovi=E8ka?=" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A Questionnaire on Computer Assisted Language Learning
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:39:17 +0100

------------------
A Questionnaire on Computer Assisted Language Learning

Please take a while to complete the questionnaire below (aimed at English language learners,
teachers, CALL Coordinators, and other computer enthusiasts), which is essential to my diploma
thesis research. Please list your answers according to their numbers and e-mail them back to me as
soon as possible.
Thank you very much indeed. Petr Borovicka, BA, [log in to unmask]

True or False ? (in your own opinion)
1. computers may replace the human teacher in future
1. using the computer in language learning is about drill and practice
2. computers can surpass qualities of a human teacher
3. paper books, including coursebooks, are being exceeded by electronic instruction and publications
of various types
4. regarding the multiple use of the computer, it is essential to integrate it into English language
curricula
5. introduction of the computer in language learning is too expensive
6. traditional language labs are becoming obsolete
7. CALL and multimedia are self-standing independent approaches

Questions:
8. What is your own idea of an ideal lesson assisted by computers?
9. What is the most noticeable weakness of using computers in langauge learning?
10. In your opinion, what is the strongest point of CALL in its basic principles?
11. Is there something to limit the use of computers?
12. Do educational programs based on multimedia possibilities seem more effective or somewhat
disturbing?
13. With further computer integration, will the language learning seteriorate or flourish?

14. What is your favourite CALL program title?
15. What is the feature of educational programs you like or prefer?
16. What is the most frequent feature of educational programs you dislike or miss?

17. What purpose do you suppose the computer served for foreign language learning in the late 1970s
when CALL was well on its way to educational system throughout the world?

18. Out of the manifold modes of computer utilisation, which one is: tutor, tool, authoring,
word-processing, reference, communications?

19. Do you agree that an extensive Internet and e-mail integration in future will make English
language learning and teaching even more effective? Please comment on your decision.

20. In your English lessons, what kind of software do you use? Assign each of the following program
types with a number representing the frequency of use: 0=rarely, 1=sometimes, 2=often, 3=always
word processing
information/reference
collaborative learning
Internet/e-mail
various grammar and/or vocabulary tutors
authoring

21. Is there a computer lab where you may work with educational software either in or out of regular
English lessons?
22. Is there a CALL Coordinator or a computer professional at your school?

23. When working on the computer computer, what do you use it for most times?
24. Do you yourself practise a sort of CALL in your English language teaching: Yes all the time, Not
at all, percentage (e.g. 40%)?

25. When did you first learn about integrating the CALL into the English language curriculum?
26. What made you start using the computer in English language teaching process?
27. Does the computer (the digital age) bring any threat to the teaching profession?

28. Please note who you are (including level or type of school):
English language learner (beginner, intermediate, advanced, other)
English language teacher (primary, secondary, higher, other)
CALL Coordinator (primary, secondary, higher, other)
Other:

29. What is you computer literacy like?
Please mark the following list of items with numbers corresponding to your computer literacy level:
0=none, 1=beginner, 2=intermediate, 3=advanced:
MS Windows (any version)
Mac OS (any version)
MS Word (or any word processor)
MS Excel (or any spreadsheet)
MS Access (or any database)
E-mail (any application)
E-mail discussion groups (any application)
Internet/WWW (any browser)
FTP
Internet publishing
Video conferencing
CD-ROM & Multimedia
Authoring programs

Thank you very much indeed once again. Petr Borovicka, BA, [log in to unmask]