LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:03:51 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "WEBB, Roger John" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "WEBB, Roger John" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:48:49 +0800

We have just installed the Divace system ( supplied by Tandberg) in a 25
workstation languages computer room and are not happy with the sound quality
when student to student conferencing. The Volume level at each workstation
seems to need tiny adjustments to get rid of a tinny reverberating kind of
sound. Further the mike seems to be picking up a high whine possibly from
the cooling fans of the computer CPUs. The supplier here in HK seems to be
blaming the sound cards and some inherent inferiority in the system as
against using magnetic tape!!  Has anyone had a similar experience or have
any suggestions?

Best,   Roger

Roger Webb
Learning Centre Manager (English)