LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:48:40 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Sue Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Sue Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:05:50 -0400EDT
>Subject: "Who's the Boss" results

Here are the results of my question about the chains of
command.

46 people replied.  Out of 46,  20 people  (43%) report directly to either the
Dean, Director, Associate Dean, or Assistant Dean of the College of Arts &
Sciences/Liberal Arts/Arts/Humanities & Arts/Languages, Linguistics &
Technologies.  15 (33%) report to the Chairs of their respective language
departments, which are named on variations of "Modern Foreign Languages
and Literature". 9 respondents (20%) report to the directors of technological
divisions: Instructional Resources; Information Services; Instructional
Technology and Media; Instructional Technology and Academic Computing;
Library, Information and Technological Resources; Academic Technology;
Computing; and Arts & Sciences Instructional Computing.  One respondent
reports to the chair of a Language Laboratory Advisory Committee.

Some of our teaching colleagues report both to the Dean and to their specific
language chair.  One lab gets funding for its computers from Information
Technology Services, but reports directly to its A&S Dean.  Another lab has
been under the auspices of its Modern Languages department, but is currently
shifting to report to the "Lead Programmer Consultant" in Instructional
Technology and Media Services.

Another sideline that I discovered from this questionnaire is that we are very
creative in naming our facilities!  Some of our labs are called "Language
Resource Centers" and "Language Learning Centers"; others are "Centers for
Instructional Technology", "Language Learning and Resource Centers",
"Language Labs", "Humanities Resource Centers", "Interactive Language
Resource Centers", "Language Telecommunications Resource and Learning
Center" (whew, what a mouthful!), "Instructional Media Service", "Multimedia
Technology Centers", "Multimedia Language Centers", "Foreign Language
Resource Centers", "Language Acquisition Centers", and "Language
Technology Centers".

Although the majority of respondents have the title of  Director, we range from
Coordinators to Supervisors to Managers to Academic Coordinators.

Thank you all so very much for your responses!

Sue

Susan Breeyear, Language Resource Center Coordinator
200 Southwick Building
University of Vermont
Burlington, Vermont 05405

VOICE:802-656-7856