LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:57:50 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Sharon Fechter) ---

>From: [log in to unmask] (Sharon Fechter)
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:35:58 -0500
>Subject: Middlebury Graduate Certificate Program

------------------
Notice of Approaching Deadline:
Technology and Language Instruction:
a Certificate Program for Graduate Students

The Middlebury College Center for Educational Technology invites graduates students in language, second language acquisition, literature, linguistics, cultural studies, or related fields to apply for a fully-funded three-week program designed to promote
proficiency in language pedagogy and instructional technology among future language teachers. The application deadline is January 30, 1999.

The program, funded by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation,  consists of a three-week intensive workshop offered at Middlebury$E2s Center for Educational Technology. Participants learn the fundamentals of digital media, multimedia technology, and
web-based applications for language learning, as well as the pedagogical implications of instructional technology. They will have hands-on experience producing instructional materials that have broad applicability and replicability.

Program provisions:
                Dates: July 4-24, OR July 25-August 14, 1999;
                (We cannot guarantee placement in a particular session.)
                Travel expenses to and from Middlebury (reimbursed);
                Housing and meals on the Middlebury campus;
                A $1000 stipend;
                A certificate of completion, awarded at the end of the program.

Eligibility:
Applicants must be graduate students in good standing, in the later stages of a Ph.D. program in language, second language acquisition, literature, linguistics, cultural studies, or a related field at an accredited institution of higher education.
Experience with technology is not required, but applicants must demonstrate serious interest in language teaching and instructional technology. Because its technology component assumes no prior knowledge, this program is not designed for graduate students
who already possess significant experience and advanced skills in instructional technology.

For further information, including instructions for application, please see our web site: http://www.cet.middlebury.edu/2001_programs/graduate.html

Amy McGill
Associate Director for Administration
Center for Educational Technology
Middlebury College
Middlebury VT 05753
802-443-5505
http://www.cet.middlebury.edu

Sharon Fechter
Director of Inter-Institutional Collaboration
Project 2001