LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:57:34 EST
--- Forwarded Message from GREG YOUNGER <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:41:03 -0700 (MST)
>From: GREG YOUNGER <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: TESOL 99 FAIRS: LAST CALL FOR PROPOSALS

------------------
     CALL FOR PROPOSALS FOR THE THREE TESOL '99 ELECTRONIC VILLAGE FAIRS
             "AVENUES TO SUCCESS" CONVENTION,  March 9-13, 1999
                 The New York Hilton, New York, New York USA

                      INTERNET FAIR (formerly Web Fair)
                                SOFTWARE FAIR
                DEVELOPERS SHOWCASE (formerly Authors Showcase)

              ***DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS:  JANUARY 15, 1999***

You are invited to submit a proposal for participation in one or more of
the TESOL '99 Fairs, according to the guidelines below. Submit a separate
proposal for each Fair you wished to be considered for. You are welcome to
submit more than one proposal, and it is possible to have more than one
proposal accepted (depending on space availability and quality of the
submission). Windows and Macintosh equipment will be available at no
charge, along with CD ROM drives, Internet connections, and (for the
Showcase only) projection equipment. Plan to bring a minimum of 100
handouts per Fair/Showcase acceptance slot -- these are very popular events!

WHAT HAPPENS AT THE FAIRS:
Presenters have approximately 20-30 minutes to demonstrate their material.
Participants walk around and drop in and out of demonstrations, thus
precluding highly structured presentations. A demonstration may be repeated
a second time (an additional 20 to 25 minutes), if interest warrants and
space allows.

WHAT HAPPENS AT THE SHOWCASE:
There is one presenter at a time, demonstrating her/his program. Seating is
provided for the audience.

INTERNET FAIR (formerly Web Fair), Event #3011
Send Proposals to: Suzan Moody
Email:    <[log in to unmask]>

WHAT IS IT?
Internet Fair is a TESOL event intended for demonstrations by teachers or
teacher-developers who have used Internet-based programs, websites, or
activities with students. Demonstrations may highlight student
projects or activities or curriculum created for students or educators.

PROPOSAL
Please include the following information:

Personal Information
       Name:
       Mailing Address:
       Phone: (Don't forget to include your Area/Country Code)
       Fax: (Don't forget to include your Area/Country Code)
       E-mail address(es):

Presentation Information
       Title of Presentation:
       URL(s):
       Hardware, Plug-In Requirements:
       How the website/activity is used (student population):
       Its strengths and limitations:

SOFTWARE FAIR, Event #3478
Send Proposals to:  Janel Hinrichsen
Email:    <[log in to unmask]>
Snail Mail:  University of Kansas, Applied English Center
204 Lippincott Hall
Lawrence KS 66045

WHAT IS IT?
     The purpose of the Software Fair is to allow teachers to show how they
use different types of software in English instruction for in-class or
out-of-class activities. The software may be used as a part of the
classroom time, computer lab time, or as a homework activity to supplement
English language instruction.
     In the past, presenters have shown how they have used prepackaged
software such as Word Attack, Grolier Encyclopedia, Testmaster, or Phraze
Craze for increasing skills in vocabulary, reading, writing, and speaking &
understanding. Presenters will need to bring the software they are
demonstrating.

PROPOSAL
Please include the following information:

Personal Information
       Name:
       Mailing Address:
       Phone: (Don't forget to include your Area/Country Code)
       Fax: (Don't forget to include your Area/Country Code)
       E-mail address(es):

Presentation Information
       Title of Presentation:
       URL(s):
       Hardware, Plug-In Requirements:
       How the software/activity is used (student population):
       Its strengths and limitations:

DEVELOPERS SHOWCASE (formerly Authors Showcase)
Send Proposals to:  Phil Hubbard
Email:    <[log in to unmask]>

WHAT IS IT?
       The CALL Developers' Showcase is an expanded version of the Authors'
Showcase, which has been a popular annual event at International TESOL for
the past few years. It is one of several ways in which the CALL-IS
disseminates information about computers and computer-assisted instruction
to the ESL/EFL professional community.
       The Developers' Showcase provides an opportunity for the designers
of ESL/EFL software to display their work, and for potential users and
software developers to examine and react to work in progress at the
sub-commercial or pre-commercial stage. This year we are including
materials in the following two categories:
   1) disk-based software, including floppy-disk, hard disk, and CD-ROMs.
   2) web-based software, including both programs that can be accessed
      directly from the web and those that can be downloaded.
       Only work that is not yet on the market will be accepted. Software
that is already contracted with a publisher is considered to be on the
market and as such is not acceptable. On the other hand, new shareware
offerings are welcome.

PROPOSAL
Please include the following information:

       Required Information:
       *** *Name
       *** *Mailing Address
       *** *Phone and fax (as available)
       *** *Title of software
       *** *Hardware requirements
       *** *Availability (if applicable)
       *** *Summary of what the software does and its strengths and
           limitations
       *** *Level the software is appropriate for (e.g., elementary,
           beginning, advanced, pre-university, etc.)

       Optional Information:
       *** *Other information, examples or details as you think necessary.

Convention information updated regularly from the TESOL website:
http://www.tesol.edu/