LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:05:33 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (David Herren) ---

------------------
[log in to unmask],Internet writes:
>I need some advice about running a Novell Netware 4.11 server with
>Macintosh clients. We have a 60 position Mac lab and have recently acquired
>the Novell server to handle our file serving. Since I am a Mac person,
>learning Novell has been a challenge, but interesting. The questions I have
>are these......Is it possible to use the server to download software to all
>the clients at once? Such a scheme would have to involve a simultaneous
>file transfer. Is it possible to run the Mac clients from system software
>residing on the server? Our Director seems to think this is possible with
>our setup, but I am skeptical. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at RevRDist from Dale Talcot at Purdue Univ. The issue is not one of "pushing" the files from the server to the clients, but configuring the clients to download the image from the server. This is how we've managed labs for years.

http://www.purdue.edu/revrdist/

In terms of "net booting," no, what you seem to describe is not currently possible unless all your macs have the latest open firmware ROMs (currently only the iMacs and the very latest G3s just announced last week), and even then, they wouldn't boot from
a netware server, just MacOS X Server.

--
David D. Herren                          www.cet.middlebury.edu/herren
Assoc. Dir. for Tech. & Instruction      [log in to unmask]