LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:21:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 09:14:03 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4770 Audio Cassettes for Language Lab
>Originator-Info: login-id=derek; server=mail.unm.edu

> --- Forwarded Message from Kathy L Berry <[log in to unmask]> ---
<snip>  Now, with us providing the tape
> and the dubbing, we must buy quality cassettes that hold up in a high
> speed duplicator, in bulk, at affordable prices.
>
> Does anyone know of a quality affordable brand?  And where to purchase?

We use TDK brand "D" series tapes purchased from our local Costco, which
cost, when I last calculated the price, $.595 (C-60) and $.625 (C-90).
They come packaged in 16 and 20 tape blocks.  These are standard bias tapes
with sound quality potential that exceeds the publisher's materials.
Better quality tapes exist, but we don't think the extra cost is justified.
The TDK D tapes hold up well in our ancient, decrepit Telex high speed
duplicator.  Compared with the lower-end 3-M, Ampex, and BASF tapes that we
used previously, we found that the TDKs sound better and shed less oxide.
Therefore the machine cleaning interval can be lengthened by perhaps 30-50%
and it seems that heads need to be replaced less frequently.

We have the option to purchase in any quantity at the same unit price, off
a blanket PO, which is a plus.  Our university negotiated free next day
delivery in any quantity, which is great.  In emergencies (caused by
occasional inattention to stock on hand), we can drive over and pick up the
quantity that we need, and within an hour be back in production.  We have
to pay the $26/yr membership fee.

We have found the quality of the tapes, ease of acquisition, and purchasing
flexibility justify the price and membership fee.  If you have a warehouse
type store in your area, and can negotiate similar terms, this might be a
good way to go.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall Rm 129