LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 13:27:08 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Gary Aitken <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 10:41:23 -0500 (EST)
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Gary Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Online Spanish Workbook

------------------
A note to Spanish instructors and developers of Web-based language materials:

I have recently developed an electronic workbook, designed to accompany
'ˇArriba!', an introductory Spanish textbook published by Prentice Hall.
However, instructors at all school levels have been telling me that they
are using the program along with other introductory textbooks.  The
response has been overwhelming.  Since mid-November I have received almost
2,000 hits from all over and the most encouraging aspect is that the
material is being used by students from K-12 to university levels.

The program is entitled 'Más arriba' and provides a game-like environment
containing some 800, full-colour drawings which invite students to
participate in highly-contextualized language activities.  My next goal is
to imbed the cgi scripting that will process the student responses and
generate e-mail messages containing the scores.

There is absolutely no monetary involvement on my part. My purpose for
creating the exercise material is to make it available to as many learners
as possible and my purpose for sending this message is to announce its
availability on the Web to anyone who may be interested in this type of
exercise material and especially to the adopters of 'ˇArriba!'.

'Más arriba' is found at the following URL: http://www.trentu.ca/masarriba
and I would be most interested in receiving your comments at my e-mail
address: [log in to unmask]

All the best,
Gary

Gary Aitken