LLTI Archives

January 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:21:24 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 11:05:24 -0600
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4770 Audio Cassettes for Language Lab

------------------
We've been doing this for years.  We found that the quality of the taped program improves dramatically when you have a standard tape that you can "fine-tune" your duplicators to, instead of using the variety of "K-Mart Special" tapes you sometimes get when students provide their own tape.

Up until recently, we used the 3-M AVX series tapes, but they're no longer available.  After fairly thorough research (our technician did some extensive testing for quality), we've begun purchasing tapes from Full Compass, which happens to be here in Madison, WI (although they do business nationally).

You can see their products and prices at their website... follow the link to their catalog:  http://www.fullcompass.com

We buy the AV tapes without labels, and buy the cassette cases separately (I'm not sure if from them or elsewhere).  We usually buy several thousand at a time, so the prices are quite good.

Good luck...

Read Gilgen, Director
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin
(608) 262-1408

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 01/05/99 09:45AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Kathy L Berry <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 13:00:23 -0600 (CST)
>From: Kathy L Berry <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>cc: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Audio Cassettes for Language Lab

We have decided to provide *pre-duplicated* cassettes for students taking
foreign languages.  In the past, we required the students to
provide the tape and we'd do the dubbing.  Now, with us providing the tape
and the dubbing, we must buy quality cassettes that hold up in a high
speed duplicator, in bulk, at affordable prices.

Does anyone know of a quality affordable brand?  And where to purchase?

Kathy Berry
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee