MACSCRPT Archives

June 2018

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"L. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2018 01:22:25 -0500
I think I found a workaround for email problems with this list, so I’m hoping it will be easier to follow up.

Some of my descriptions may contain what seem to be redundant references, but I don’t want there to be any confusion about what is what.

If I’m not mistaken you said you acquired a new computer with a drive big enough to hold all your media, so I’m assuming you have the latest OS and the latest iTunes. My suggestion for a trial strategy would be to first ensure that no check mark is in the “Keep iTunes Media folder organized” in the Advanced area of iTunes prefs, then see which folder iTunes is set to use now for its media as instructed in the support site document I linked previously. Check that folder to see what’s in it. If it has contents that you are able to access in the iTunes interface and that you don’t care to move, it’s probably better not to change the media folder location, but instead to move one or more of those among the collection of 15 folders into it for testing. I’m thinking that because the folders were gathered from separate volumes, you may find that the top level of each of the 15 is considered by iTunes’ current database to correspond to the Media folder, but the next step may shed some light on that.

If nothing that you care about is in the specified iTunes Media folder, you can choose one of the 15 folders as the iTunes Media folder after you have made the decision about where to store any of the 15 permanently, then see if any media files in that folder can then be played/located in the iTunes interface without error.

However, if you decided not to change the media folder location, then you may want to first try dragging one of the 15 into iTunes and check for success in iTunes' interface for the files that you moved. If you aren’t able to drag the folder or its contents without entering a password, then a permissions problem probably exists, and you may want to use some of the actions i mentioned in my previous submissions for correcting those permissions. Anyway, if no success comes from moving one of the 15 folders into the Media folder, you could try putting that one of the 15 back into its original location, then as a final attempt to maintain some hierarchical continuity for iTunes to remember from its stored configuration, drag instead the contents of that one of the 15 instead of the folder itself, then test again.

There’s a chance that if you have to located a media file, iTunes will ask you whether to search for more media in that location, in which case it may rebuild its own records to correct the errors for some of the music you pointed it to. If any of this works for the contents you’ve worked with so far, this strategy can be applied to each of the remaining 15 folders. If you’re not making progress, there are some other things to try. Let us know if doing any of this yields any success.

Laine Lee