LLTI Archives

March 2017, Week 3

From:
Jeff Ruth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2017 19:46:51 +0000
I hope to create a bank of online, multimedia activities for my language students, and possibly another for students of a linguistics course. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tool/platform to use? Here is my wishlist of features:

  *   easy interface to create—no coding

  *   low-cost or no cost

  *   portable: if the original host or site closes, the activity can be placed elsewhere easily

  *   auto-graded

  *   maybe a gradebook

  *   results emailable to instructor

  *   other minor features, such as randomized questions, timed answers, etc.

This is lots to ask—just hoping for something that comes close. I hope to make this a public resource if it is successful.

A tech detail:  I’ve been reading that SCORM-conformant quiz-type activities means that they are portable (can be moved from, say, a Canvas site to a personal site to Moodle, etc.). However, now I’ve also seen that the post-SCORM world is Tin Can API (or xAPI), and that this new standard can be met by a variety of authoring tools. One example I’ve read about is WordPress using the free H5P authoring tool. Maybe some LLTIers have used this, or something like it?

My reading is way ahead of my experience in this, so any comments are welcome… Thanks.

Jeff Ruth