CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Collis Miniversity <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Collis Miniversity <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 08:43:13 -0400
Sign up for Miniversity classes:

TODAY, Thurs. Sept. 23: 8am-4pm
TOMORROW, Frid. Sept. 24: 12pm-4pm

in Collis Lobby! Cash, dash or check required at registration.

MINIVERSITY - FALL 2010 SCHEDULE

Unless otherwise indicated, classes start the week of October 4th

* AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE
Tuesdays 4-5:30pm, Collis 212
6 sessions, $30 per person
Instructor: Renee Scott
Students will learn the basics of American Sign Language (alphabet, elementary words and phrases, sentence structure). The course aims to have every student conversationally functional by the end of the course.

* INTRO TO BREAD & PASTRY BAKING
Three Sundays (October 17th, 24th and Nov. 7th), First two sessions are in two sections: 10-12pm OR 12-2pm in Brace Commons Kitchen (East Wheelock), last session together 2-6pm at Dartmouth Organic Farm
3 sessions, $55 per person
Instructors: Becca Stebbins, Matt Dahlhausen, Alfredo Valesco
This course will cover everything you "knead" to know to get started making delicious breads and pastries.  After an introduction to the history, science, ingredients and terminology of bread and pastry baking, we'll jump right into baking.  Varieties of baked goods include, but are not limited to: sandwich breads, sweet breads, sourdoughs, pizza doughs, pie crusts, croissants, tarts as well as kneading techniques, tips for baking in conventional and hearth ovens, how to store bread and how to maintain a sourdough starter. The course is offered in two sections:  One that meets Sunday morning and one that meets Sunday afternoons.  The third and final class will meet on a Sunday afternoon out at the Dartmouh Organic Farm for a pizza dinner celebration cooked in the DOF's bread oven.

* COUPLES MASSAGE
Wednesdays 7:15-9pm, FUEL
6 sessions, $55 per person
Instructor: Sarah Berger
This course will teach you basic therapeutic massage technique and theory.  Upon completion, you will be able perform a basic full-body relaxation massage to share with your friends, family, etc.  This course is hands-on and you do not need any previous experience.

* CUPCAKE-BAKING 101 - "LET THEM EAT CAKE!"
Mondays 7:45-9pm, Brace Commons Kitchen (East Wheelock)
6 sessions, $50 per person
Instructor: Julia Sooy
An introduction to cupcake baking. From classic basics, to decorated masterpieces, we'll make a different type each class (possibilities include caramel, German chocolate, red velvet, carrot, lemon, coconut, pumpkin spice, and angel food cake). The cupcake is the current "it" treat, so ace this class and enjoy your just desserts!

* DJ-ING 101
Two classes: Mondays 7-8 or 8-9
Instructor: Trey Rey (DJ Enzo)
6 sessions, $30 per person
Learn the basics of DJing equipment, how to beatmatch, how to work effects into sets, and other general DJing rules of thumb.

* DRAWING
Wednesdays 8-9pm, Collis 212
6 sessions, $35
Instructor: Lin Bo
-- Come have fun drawing from life with pencil and charcoal! We learn about using line, shape, and shadow in our drawings to express what we see and think. All drawing materials will be provided.

* GLOBAL FLATBREADS
Tuesdays 5-6:30pm, Brace Commons Kitchen (East Wheelock)
5 classes, $50 per person
Instructor: Julia Liedel
This class is a cooking class based around flatbreads of the world. We will make homemade pita, tortillas, naan, Uigher flatbread, and pizza. We will make Greek salad and have hummus with the pita, homemade salsa and chicken/vegetables to have tacos with the tortillas, a curry sauce for the naan, kebabs with the Uigher flatbread and assorted toppings for the pizza.

* GLOBAL MEDIATION
Thursday 5-6, Collis 218
6 sessions, $30 per person
Instructor: David Becker
So there's a hostage crisis. Or a civil war. How do the pros at the U.N. and other peacekeeping and diplomacy centers around the world handle it? They're mediators and they use the same negotiation tools that divorce arbitrators do. So get ready to practice crisis negotiation, and learn about real case law, mediation, and the cultural differences that are driving conflict and conflict resolution around the world today.

* INTRO TO GUITAR
Mondays 8-9pm, Fahey McLane Lounge Groundfloor
6 sessions, $30 per person
Instructor: Julia Szafman
Come learn basic techniques for playing melodies and chords, enough so that students can play popular songs and impress their friends!  We will learn different songs, depending on the musical tastes of the class, and play both melody and chords with a partner.  Designed for beginners (little or no prior musical/guitar experience).
NOTE: You must bring your own guitar. Hanover strings rents guitars for ~$20/month or borrow from a friend!

* HENNA
Monday 5-6:15pm, Collis 218
6 sessions, $55 per person
Instructor: Ayda Ramadan
Ever wanted to try your hand at creating henna tattoos? Maybe you've thought about getting a tattoo but you're afraid of commitment? Henna has been around since the Ancient Egyptians, and it's a fun, temporary and 100% natural way to decorate your body. This class will teach you the basics of mixing and applying henna, as well as traditional and contemporary designs. You'll have lots of practice, and learn how to break down a design on paper and rebuild it on skin without using a transfer. No artistic experience necessary.

* HINDI
TBA (Tentatively Tuesdays at 4pm)
6 sessions, $30 per person
Instructor: Divyanka Sharma
This course will teach a beginner's knowledge of Hindi.

* KNITTING & CROTCHETING
Wednesdays 4-5pm, Fahey McLane Ground Floor Lounge
6 sessions, $35 per person
Instructor: Maritza Miller
This is a course for beginning knitters.  We will learn the basics of the knit and purl stitches and complete a scarf project. We will then explore the basics of crochet by crocheting tassels onto the end of our scarves. All materials are supplied for this first project. If students then wish to design a second project, they will receive guidance from the instructor.

* KOREAN
TBA
6 sessions, $30 per person
Instructor: Liz Kwon
You will learn listening, reading, writing, and basic grammer. No need to purchase texts.

* LAKOTA LANGUAGE
Tuesdays 4-5pm, Collis 219
6 sessions, $30 per person
Instructor: Nacole Walker
Beginners course in the Lakota Language: for students with little to no knowledge of Lakota. Includes: overview of the sounds of the language (phonology and orthography), basic vocabulary, and basic sentence structure. Students will learn to greet and communicate with others, introduce themselves, read and write using the Lakota orthography, navigate through the online Lakota dictionary and write a short text in the language.

* MANDARIN LANGUAGE
Introductory/Intermediate Chinese
Fridays 3-4:30 pm, Collis 218
Instructor: Ningyu Li
This course will teach introductory/intermediate Chinese language skills (including writing, reading, speaking), as well as some Chinese culture and customs.

* PARTY FREESTYLE 101
Tuesdays 7:30-9pm, FUEL
Instructor: Millen Abselab
6 sessions, $30 per person
Ever fear a dance party because you think you CAN'T dance? Don't have the time commitment to join a dance group? Wish you could shake it so fast that the room rains dollar bills? Then take Party Freestyle 101, where you won't learn how to do ridiculously coordinated dances, but you will learn how to pop, lock, and drop it like a pro.
*NOTE: This class is geared toward women and intended for beginners-not students with a background in dance.

* PRACTICAL COOKING
Sundays Oct. 3, 10, 31 and Nov. 7, 14, 21 (note two week break in between) from 12:30-2:30pm, Brace Commons Kitchen (East Wheelock)
6 sessions, $55 per person
Instructor: Charles Clark
This course will build essential cooking skills. At each class, we will prepare a complete meal for 2-8. Our menus will strike a balance between four core values: simplicity, economy, health, and taste. Some dishes we may make are Roast Chicken with Tangerine and Rosemary, Cheese Enchiladas with Salsa Verde, Curried Eggplant, and Bourbon Pecan Pie.

* SPEED READING
Monday and Wednesday 3-4:15pm: Oct 4, 6, 11, 13th, Collis 212
4 sessions, $35 per person
Instructor: Carl Thum
Sign up and find the time to put more fun into your fall at Dartmouth! This course is essentially a speed reading course, but with plenty of information and practice on comprehension skills, too. You will find ways to read more, read more in less time, get more out of your reading, and you may just find time to read for pleasure in the time you have left!

* INTRO TO SWING, LATIN, AND BALLROOM DANCE
Mondays 6:30-7:30, Collis Common Ground
6 sessions, $45 per person
Instructor: Jenny Gelfan
Get into the fun, excitement and companionship of partner dancing. The introductory   class will introduce you to the basics of the most popular dances. At the end of six weeks, you will be able to dance with a partner confidently and comfortably to different kinds of music. We will start with swing, waltz, merengue and foxtrot.

* SWING, LATIN, AND BALLROOM DANCE FOR EXPERIENCED DANCERS
Mondays 7:30-8:30, Collis Common Ground
6 sessions, $45 per person
Instructor: Jenny Gelfan
This class is for people who know the basics of several partner dances, such as swing,   waltz, tango and salsa. Learn more style and steps in the dances you know, and try new dances, such as rumba and cha-cha. We will focus on leading and following and connecting with the music as well.

* TRANSCENDENTAL MEDITATION®
Knowledge and Experience - for practitioners of the Transcendental Meditation® (as taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi)
Tuesdays 5:30-6:30, Collis 218
6 sessions, $35 per person
Instructors: Joan Rist and William Rist
**PREREQUISITE is instruction in the Transcendental Meditation technique. Instruction in the TM technique will be offered before the course begins. Students interested can contact Joan Rist at [log in to unmask] or call 603-588-3258 or cell: 603-305-4800 for more
information. To learn about the benefits of practicing and about instruction in the TM technique please come to one of the following Introductory Presentations: Wed, Sept 22, 3:00 or 6:30; Thurs, Sept 23, 3:00 or 6:30 pm; Frid, Sept 24, 3:00 or 6:30 pm. Locations TBA. A very special opportunity for Dartmouth students to learn this technique is being made available this term.
This course will provide additional knowledge to complement experience in the TM technique, a form of effortless meditation which has been shown, in over 600 research studies, to improve intelligence, decrease fatigue & stress, improve creativity, balance one's health and improve student life. This course will help establish regular practice,
thereby insuring maximum results. A special component of the course will be lectures (via video conferencing) from Dartmouth alumni including quantum physicist Dr. John Hagelin (www.hagelin.org). The  focus of the course will be on presenting knowledge on Consciousness, Creativity and the Brain. For all who participate in this course membership is available in the Dartmouth campus Student Transcendental Meditation Association. For more information on TM visit: TM.org, DoctorsOnTM.org, TM-Education.org, and TM-Business.org, www.mum.edu.

* WINE DISCOVERY
Wednesdays 7-9pm, Collis 101
6 sessions, $80 per person
Instructor: Peter Rutledge
We will learn to really enjoy wine by becoming familiar with its components from farm to hype, major viticultural techniques, grape varieties, deciphering labels, and sensory evaluation. Some reading is required. Must be 21 or older to enroll. ID required to register. First session (October 6th) MANDATORY.