DOIs for CRAWDAD datasets

Tristan Henderson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Aug 2015 12:00:01 +0100

text/plain

Hello CRAWDAD users,

It is now possible to cite datasets using DOIs (Digital Object
Identifiers). These increasingly popular persistent identifiers should
provide stable citation references for use in your papers when you use
CRAWDAD datasets. They should also help with anyone who is thinking of
contributing data to CRAWDAD, since some funding bodies now require
that datasets have DOIs.

So for instance you can now cite the latest version of the
dartmouth/campus dataset as follows:

David Kotz, Tristan Henderson, Ilya Abyzov, Jihwang Yeo, CRAWDAD
dataset dartmouth/campus (v. 2009‑09‑09), downloaded from
http://crawdad.org/dartmouth/campus/20090909, doi:10.15783/C7F59T, Sep
2009.

and you can access the dataset at both
<http://crawdad.org/dartmouth/campus/20090909/>
and
<http://doi.org/10.15783/C7F59T>

We also now provide both BibTeX and RIS so that both LaTeX and Word
users can cite CRAWDAD datasets easily and accurately. If you are
interested in knowing some common data citation errors, and why it is
important to cite data correctly, then you might want to see the
article that we wrote for D-Lib Magazine
<http://doi.org/10.1045/january2015-henderson>
If you are interested in knowing more about DOIs then there is lots of
information at <http://www.doi.org/>

Cheers,
Tristan

PS it took a while for me to get my head around the issuing (or
"minting") of DOIs. So if you notice any weirdness then please shout.
--
Tristan Henderson | School of Computer Science | University of St Andrews
www: http://tristan.host.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/  | tel: +44 1334 461637