CRAWDAD-NEWS Archives

March 2015

CRAWDAD-NEWS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Tristan Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tristan Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:35:30 +0100
A new dataset has been added to CRAWDAD.
<http://crawdad.org/icsi/netalyzr-android/>

Mobile data collected using the Netalyzr for Android App.

Contributed by Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez, Srikanth Sundaresan,
Christian Kreibich, Nicholas Weaver, Vern Paxson.

This dataset was collected by the ICSI Netalyzr app for Android to
develop a characterization of how operational decisions, such as
network configurations, business models, and relationships between
operators introduce diversity in service quality and affect user
security and privacy. We delve in detail beyond the radio link and
into network configuration and business relationships in six
countries. We identify the widespread use of transparent middleboxes
such as HTTP and DNS proxies, analyzing how they actively modify user
traffic, compromise user privacy, and potentially undermine user
security. In addition, we identify network sharing agreements between
operators, highlighting the implications of roaming and characterizing
the properties of MVNOs, including that a majority are simply
rebranded versions of major operators. More broadly, our findings
using this data highlight the importance of considering higher-layer
relationships when seeking to analyze mobile traffic in a sound
fashion.

The dataset is used for a forthcoming MobiSys paper entitled "Beyond
the Radio: Illuminating the Higher Layers of Mobile Networks".

Cheers,
Tristan
--
Tristan Henderson | School of Computer Science | University of St Andrews
www: http://tristan.host.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/  | tel: +44 1334 461637