ANCIENT-FOOD-TECH Archives

August 2014, Week 2

ANCIENT-FOOD-TECH@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Cooking technologies of ancient Mediterranean cultures.
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 22:32:46 +0200
Hi Julie, I've been following the discussion with interest and, as in
our previous discussion, interested in comparisons with the western Med.
In Sardinia, where I work. The non perforated griddles are quite common
in Bronze and Iron Age Nuragic contexts but semi perforated griddles are
rare, showing up in indigenous sites that seem to have had contact with
Phoencians and some Phoenician sites too (Nora, S'Urachi etc). However I
was especially interested in the baking pans with the incisions on the
outside, as we have found an example here (burnt on inside smooth
surface, but not on semiperforated side). I understand there are
examples from N. Africa and Spain also.
The suggestion is that they are an Near Eastern innovation, arriving
with the Phoenicians, it would be interesting to see Phoenician
examples, as well as those (if any) from Spain.
Best regards
Jeremy Hayne