CABIN-TRAIL Archives

April 2014, Week 1

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2014 22:03:10 +0000
To sign up for any trip, blitz the leader of that trip with your DA$H number (make sure you have money in your account!) or saying you'd like to pay in cash. Your spot will be reserved once you pay. If the trip is free, just blitz the leader to reserve a spot. Financial aid is available for all trips - just reply to this blitz with any questions.

***********************************

Wednesday WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

What: Heeler Fire Build

When: 4:30-5:30 Wednesday

Leader: Spencer Chu

Why: Because you need to complete a firebuild to ascend!

Cost: #Free

Blitz: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> to sign up

Also, WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

What: The Feed!

When: 7:00 PM

Where: The Rock

Who: Nick Thyr is cooking, and you can help! One more cook from 5-ish to 7, and the more cleaners, the merrier!

Why: Because breakfast is so important, we're going to have it twice. Come by the Rock for scrambled eggs, scones, bacon, orange juice, maple syrup, and the best damn oatmeal you've ever had (but actually: http://www.bobsredmill.com/oatmeal/)

Cost: $4 (unless you help cook/clean)

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY

What: Holt's Ledge Hike

When: 2 PM - 5:30ish PM

Leaders: President Emeritus Mac Murphy & Spenny B

Why: Because hiking during the week is SO important, perhaps even more important than breakfast. And we'll have delicious snacks! And the views off Holt's Ledge are breathtaking! If I have not convinced you yet, blitz me, and for just two small payments of $39.99, I'll send you the other 96 reasons! And if you blitz within the next fifteen minutes, I'll throw in the complete hiker's starter pack, containing boots, microspikes, organic trail mix (with REAL m&m's not that knockoff nonsense), and several hugs from Steve Tebbe.

Cost: $2 for DOC members; $5 (or a bit more or a bit less) for non-members

Blitz: Spencer Blair with your DA$H number and shoe size to sign up or to get more info!

​Also, THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY

What: Cardigan Afternoon Hike

When: 3 PM to 6:30 roughly

Length: 3.5 miles

Leaders: Adam Schneider and Roman Huszar

Why: Because it the sweeping views and the crisp spring air beckon. Cardigan has a large exposed summit which will provide us with a high mountain feel despite it being a short hike.There will be snacks provided on the trip, and we will be back around dinner time.

Cost: $1 DOC, $4 non-DOC

Blitz Roman Huszar to sign up.

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

What: Armington Cabin Overnight with Great Bear Trailwork

When: 7pm Friday night until 3pm Saturday afternoon

Leaders: Spencer Chu and Brad Geismar

Why: Because hanging out in a cabin is a great way to bond/make friends, and Heelers need trailwork to ascend!

Come hang out with friends and fellow D.O.C people this weekend! We'll leave Friday after dinner and spend a night relaxing at Armington Cabin. On Saturday we will wake up (not too early) in the morning, have a tasty breakfast, and then go do a little bit of trail work on the Great Bear trail. It'll be the perfect opportunity to have fun and get that trail work requirement fulfilled before the snow melts and its all gross and muddy outside!

Cost: Free for D.O.C. members, and 3$ non-D.O.C. members.

Blitz: Brad Geismar to sign up or to get some more info!

Also, FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY into SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Great Bear Cabin Overnight, Trailwork, Firebuild, possible Mt. Moosilauke hike

When: 6-7 pm Friday - Saturday afternoon/evening

Leader(s): Graham Findlay and Loring Schaible

Why: Because if you want to ascend (heelers), you need to knock out your trailwork and firebuild reqs and still get to go on an overnight AND possibly hike the beloved Mt. Moosilauke.  If youre not a heeler, just come for the fun of it, its gonna be loads of fun.

Cost: $0 DOC, $3 Non-DOC

Blitz: "David Loring" with your shoe size, dietary restrictions, and DA$H if you're down or just blitz for more info.​

Another, FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY (into SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY)

What: Franconia Ridge, Libery, and Flume traverse with a Ritchie Smith overnight

When: 7pm Friday-Dinnertime on Saturday

Leader(s): Annie Laurie and John French

Why: Come hike five 4000 foot peaks in a day! With four of the five recognized as official 4000 footers (Liberty, Flume, Lincoln, and Lafayette), this can be a great trip for those who are aiming to climb all 48 or those who enjoy the satisfaction of reaching the top of lots of tall rocks. With the summits Lafayette and Lincoln covered in picturesque snow and totally unobstructed views as well as the numerous stunning views to be had at Liberty and Flume, this is sure to be one of the most scenic and rewarding hikes out there. Additionally, we will spend the night before the hike at Ritchie Smith cabin, home to the game "awkward moment". Think Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity, but instead the cards are about awkward situations. With a laughter filled overnight, great people, great views, and the satisfaction of peak bagging, this is sure to be a hike you won't want to miss.

Cost: $8 for DOC members, $15 for non-DOC.

Difficulty: Strenuous (due to winter conditions, extended time above treeline, and ~14 mile total distance)

Blitz: John French with questions to sign up, or with your height (for snowshoes) and da$h number to sign up!

More ​FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

What: Nunnemacher Cabin Overnight (feat. Bananagrams)

When: Friday 5:30 PM - Saturday 11:00 AM latest

Leaders: William Hickman + Chuanqi Sun

Why: Because the winner of Bananagrams will get mysterious price!

Nunnemacher cabin is located at the half-way point of the Dartmouth Skiway. It's a 20 min. easy hike with a rewarding cabin overnight experience. Come and play Bananagrams with us, and win your price!

Cost: $1 DOC, $3 non-DOC

Blitz: Chuanqi Sun to sign up or to get more info!​

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Mt. Ascutney Day Hike

When: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Leaders: Molly Ryan and Katie Yu

Why: Because who wouldn't want go on a lovely 7 mile round trip adventure up a mountain?? Plus, there is a fire tower on top. And there will be lunch.

Cost: $4 for DOC members, 6$ for non-members

Blitz: Molly Ryan to sign up or to get more info!

Also, SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Bushwhacking 18 miles up to the top of Owl's Head (4000 footer). This trip definitely not for the faint of heart, be ready for a long day!

When: Saturday, meeting behind Robo at 7 back that evening

Why: Why not?

Leaders: Jon King/Mac Murphy and David Polashenski    ​

Cost: Probably $3 for DOC $6 for non - we'll supply snacks, lunch, and potentially breakfast

Blitz: David Polashenski to sign up

Another, SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Kristen’s "Immorals Committee" Heeler Overnight at Armington

When: Saturday evening to Sunday morning; leaving around 7:30pm and getting back around 10am

Leaders: Kristen Chalmers and Shea Flanagan

Why: Celebrate Kristen completing another of her heeler requirements by hanging out with us in a cozy cabin and playing Cards Against Humanity!

Cost: $1

To sign up, blitz Kristen Chalmers your DASH number and any dietary restrictions

Also, SATURDAY SABADO SAMEDI

What: Gile Fire Tower Hike!

When: 10am--1pm

Leader(s): Gerbele (Gerben and Gisele)

Why: Just because!

This is a beginner hike with a beautiful view from the top of the fire tower. It's short and sweet with a SURPRISE at the top!

Cost: $2 for DOC membres and $5 for non-members.

Blitz: Gisele or Gerben @dartmouth.edu<http://dartmouth.edu/> to sign up!

One more, SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Contra Dancing in Montpelier, VT!!!!

When: 6:45pm (back to campus between 11 and 12!)

Why: it will be the best experience of your life, guaranteed.

cost: n/a, except negotiable gas money to friendly drivers

blitz: Malcolm Salovaara for more info!

Sunday Sunday Sunday

What: Gile Fire Tower

When: 10 am- 12:30 pm

Leader(s): Sam Parker and Spencer Chu

Why: Because spring is finally here! Get outside and come hike this short, 2 mile loop with us. Expect some great conversationa, an amazing 360 view, and an optional dance break/photo opp at the top.

Cost: $2 DOC, $4 Non-DOC

Blitz: Samantha Parker <[log in to unmask]> with DA$H, micro spike size, and dietary restrictions if you want in or just blitz to get more info.

Also, SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: Hike on Mt. Whiteface and Mt. Passaconaway (both 4000 footers, around 13 miles roundtrip)

When: 7am Sunday Morning

Leaders: Jon King and Malcolm Salovaara

Why: amazing views, beautiful time of year! (water droplets sunlight pine trees make for an unreal combo)

Cost: $8 for DOC members, $10 for non-DOC

Blitz: Malcolm Salovaara for more info!