CABIN-TRAIL Archives

July 2013, Week 5

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 01:04:03 +0000
To sign up for any trip, blitz the leader of that trip with your DA$H
number (make sure you have money in your account!) or saying you'd like to
pay in cash.  Your spot will be reserved once you pay.  If the trip is
free, just blitz the leader to reserve a spot.

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY:

DINERTOURE: Breakfast Off Campus-- We Can Play That Game Too

At 7 on a morning earlier this year, her work finished, a hungry, bleary-eyed Sophomore at Dartmouth College did what she often does when she has a little free time. She texted her regular diner - the restaurant she is eating breakfast at but not dinner. What was he up to? He texted back: pancakes for $3.50, come eat some. So she did. They ordered a little coffee, had pancakes and syrup and went back to sleep.

Their relationship, she noted, is not about the meeting of two types of breakfast meat.
"We don't really like each other in person, hungry," she said, adding that "we literally can't sit down and have just coffee without food."
Ask her why she hasn't had a relationship at Dartmouth, and she won't complain about the death of corned beef hash or waitresses who won't commit. Instead, she'll talk about "cost-benefit" analyses and the "low risk and low investment costs" of diner food.
"I positioned myself in college in such a way that I can't have a meaningful culinary relationship without diners, because I'm always hungry and the people that I am interested in are always hungry, too," she said.
"And I know everyone says, 'Make time, make time,' " said the woman, who spoke on the condition of anonymity but agreed to be identified by her middle initial, which is A. "But there are so many other things going on in my life that I find so important that I just, like, can't make time, and I don't want to make time."
But we CAN make the time!
Shryl's, meet @ 7:30am behind Robo. RSVP to Alex Procton to guarantee your spot.
The ride is free, bring whatever bills you have time for.
Painstakingly adapted from: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/fashion/sex-on-campus-she-can-play-that-game-too.html?src=me

Also, Wednesday Wednesday Wednesday
Lodge Local Foods Night!!!!
do you want to go? yes! you do! great! more importantly, want a free ride there? yes? great. blitzk with your dietary restrictions and whether or not you have a lodge pass.

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY:

What: Portage! (i.e., carrying a canoe up to the top of Mt. Washington)
When: 6:30 PM Friday through roughly the same time on Saturday
Leader(s): Mac Murphy, Hunter van Adelsberg
Why: Because it's Portage!
This is an annual Cabin and Trail tradition that should not be missed. After sleeping over at the Lodge on Friday night, we'll get an early start and hike up the highest peak in the Northeastern US carrying our canoe, which we will then use to paddle around in the Lakes of the Clouds (Google it, it's pretty sick). We'll then head back down, but without the canoe this time- someone will be driving up the auto road to meet us at the top and ease our load. So basically, it's going to be an epic day all around. You'll definitely want to bring a camera.

Cost: $8 DOC members, $15 non-members
Blitz: Hunter van Adelsberg for more info or to sign up!