CABIN-TRAIL Archives

July 2013, Week 3

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2013 23:28:17 +0000
Here are the trips going out in Cabin and Trail this week! Blitz the listed leader to sign up for a trip or for more information!

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

Dinertoure Week 4: Realitytoure

I'm going to give it to you straight, the diner we're going to this week isn't that "great." It isn't 4 Aces with its lobster eggs benedict, it isn't Lou's with its inflated prices paid by a stream of visiting Dartmouth parents in rental cars. No, this week we're going someplace a little different and a little dark. We're going to Daddypops, and it's the most sad and hopeful place I've ever been.

Daddypops won't impress you. A perfect layer of dirt and grease covers everything. The bathrooms are awkwardly small and you kind of wish the kitchen weren't open. The portions are big and steaming and come on clean, chipped plates which glow white under fluorescent lights. You half expect to look over and see two 40's-era street deceives talking crimes they've solved and crimes they haven't in the next booth. No detectives, just a middle-aged man circling help wanted ads in the paper over a cup of coffee. You look outside, it's raining, 9L's seem immeasurably far away.

I will likely never say this again, but if Daddypops sounds "bad" to you, don't come. Don't come because diners like Daddypops and towns like Claremont, NH only have so much magic left in them. If on the other hand, you find laughter in the honestly imperfect, life in sagging tables which have seen a generation's tears and smiles, and hope in someplace which has nothing but its true self to give, come with us!

-Alex Becker
Meet behind Robo @7:00. RSVP to Alex Procton.

The ride is free, the magic is real. Bring small bills.

Also on Wednesday:
The Feed!
This feed will be an etiquette feed!  Prepare for propriety as we dine on fresh greens, seared venison, butternut squash, wild rice, and strawberry shortcake!
Formal wear required/highly encouraged.
Dinner will served promptly at 6:15 at Le Chateau de Rock.
RSVP to Patrick R. Campbell before 12:00pm tomorrow to reserve your placesetting.
Cost is $4, free if you clean!

THURSDAY
What: Gile Mountain Sunset Hike
When: 7:25 PM
Leader: Adam Schneider
Why: Because you can!
See a gorgeous sunset over the upper valley from the Gile Mountain Fire Tower
Cost: Free for DOC members, $2 for all others.
Blitz: Adam Schneider to join.

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY / SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

The Prezzie Traverse!

An intense and epic 23 mile traverse that hits the eight 4000+ foot peaks of the Presidential range in the White Mountains!
So awesome that it has its own Wikipedia article!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Traverse

Good weather is absolutely necessary on a trip of this scale, so we will attempt the hike on whichever day of the weekend has a better forecast. Leaving Friday night to stay at Billings cabin and getting back Saturday night after the hike (or the exact same plan, but starting 24 hours later).

A good level of fitness is mandatory, and some hiking experience is highly recommended. Sense of achievement and complete badassness will be provided on the trip!

The trip will cost $14 for DOC members and $24 for non members.

Blitz Vipul Kakkad to ask questions or to sign up (include DA$H number and information on dietary restrictions, if any)