MACSCRPT Archives

June 2013

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:52:01 +0900
Hello,

I use Mail.app since OS X began, but it seems to have some grave problems: the Mail folder, in my Library, is becoming huge -- it is now 20.3 GB (20,321,432,464 bytes) with 1,056,521 items in it. In fact, I have only (??) something like 137,173 mails (I got this number using a perl script written by a friend, which counts the number of all the unique message IDs). So there are almost ten times more files than the "real mails" that I have. I think/guess that most of them are duplicated files that were generated by some bug in Mail.app...

I would like to be able to clean up this mail folder, in a safe way (to not corrupt the mail database...). I found a script set called MailScripts (2.10.3), which seems to contain an AppleScript application, and has a command named "Remove Duplicates", but the web page says that some of the scripts do not work on Lion and later (I am using the newest OS)...

Has any of you this kind of problems? Has anyone used "Remove Duplicates" command of MailScrips on a Mountain Lion machine? Or would there be any other way to solve this problem?

I would appreciate any insights.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regard,

Nobumi Iyanaga