CABIN-TRAIL Archives

May 2013, Week 2

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2013 19:01:43 +0000
To sign up for any trip, blitz the leader of that trip with your DA$H number (make sure you have money in your account!) or saying you'd like to pay in cash.  Your spot will be reserved once you pay.  If the trip is free, just blitz the leader to reserve a spot.

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

The Feed!
Come to the Rock (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml) this Wednesday at 7pm for the feed! Menu and chef are yet to be determined, but it'll probably be delicious
When: 7pm
Where: The Rock

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

What: Firebuild at Oak Hill
When: Friday 3pm-6pm
Leaders: Fredrik Eriksson, Patrick Campbell
Why: Because learning how to build a fire is pretty cool (and it's a requirement for Wilderness Leader)!
Also there will be marshmallows. Woop woop!
Cost: $1 for DOC members, $3 for non-DOC members
Blitz: [log in to unmask] to sign up (include dash number) or get more info!

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Hike Mount Moosilauke and spend the night in John Rand Cabin
When:  leaving 10am Saturday, May 18, back no later than noon Sunday May 19
Why you should come: It's spring! The leaves are out! So are the flowers! Come and enjoy the outdoors!
    John Rand is an absolutely beautiful cabin in the woods at the base of Moosilauke, near a nice stream. We'll hike Mount Moosilauke on Saturday and get some lovely views, then cook supper, enjoy the lovely cabin and get a good night's sleep. There's the possibility of a sunrike on Sunday morning, then we'll return to campus relaxed and rejuvenated on Sunday.
Cost: $1 for DOC members, $3 for non DOC members
Leaders: Anna Knowles and Juan Sanchez
Blitz: Anna Knowles ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) your DASH number and any dietary restrictions to sign up.

What: Moosilauke Hike and Lodge Dinner
When: 10AM-9PM
Leader(s): Julia Hudnut-Beumler and Shea Flanagan
Why: What better way to top off one of the big Dartmouth weekends than hiking to the top of Dartmouth's quintessential peak? We're not leaving 'till 10AM, so you'll even get to sleep in! If you've never hiked Moosilauke before or you know the trail like the back of your hand, this is always an amazing trip. It's 7.2 miles round-trip with moderately difficult terrain. In addition to scrumptious snacks on the trail, we'll also get to enjoy a delicious dinner at the Lodge!
Cost: $4 DOC/$8 non-DOC (+$9 lodge dinner)
Blitz: Julia Hudnut-Beumler with your DA$H to sign up or to get more info!

What: Orienteering
When: 1-5
Leaders: Steve Tebbe, Jon King
Why: To learn to navigate in the wilderness
Come join us on Saturday to learn the fine art of navigation. We will travel to the exotic Boston Lot where we will learn and practice essential map and compass skills. Fulfills the wilderness leader requirement.
Cost: free DOC/ $2 non-DOC
Blitz: Jon King for more information/sign-ups

What: Mt. Osceola Day Hike
When: Saturday 8:30 AM to around 4:30 PM
Leader(s): Vipul Kakkad
Why: Because the weather is supposed to great, and so is this mountain. A couplet for your consideration:
                       Typical Green Key shenanigans are so boring and blah,
                       So come on a hike up beautiful Osceola!

On Saturday we'll meet behind Robo, drive to Osceola and do the 6.5 mile round trip hike (we might also do the 8.5 mile round tripper to the East Peak, depending on how people are feeling). Lunch will be provided, and there will be the optionto get dropped at the Lodge for dinner and an overnight!
Blitz: Hunter van Adelsberg with you DASH number to sign up.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

Come Hike Mt. Cardigan!
Leave at 10am, back by 2pm
Leaders: Steve Tebbe and Fredrik Eriksson
Come do a simple 4 mile hike up to the summit of Mt. Cardigan! Because of a historic fire, it has a barren summit, which leads to some of the best views in the areas. End your Green Key Weekend with a great adventure outside! Actual cardigans not required. Hope to see you there!
Cost: $3 for DOC members and $5 for non-DOC members.
Questions? Want to sign up? Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for more information. Include Dash number if you're signing up.

What: Mount Hancock
When 9:30am-8pm
Leaders: Adam Schneider & Robert (Alex) Greer
Why: Because it’s going to be beautiful out and Spring term is almost over!
Finish off Green-Key with an awesome hike up Mt. Hancock!  We’ll hike 10 miles and summit two peaks.  Expect glorious views throughout.
Cost: $7 DOC members, $18 Non-DOC members
Blitz: Robert Greer to sign up or to get more info!

What: Mt. Chocurua!
When: 8:30-7:30
Leaders: Jon King, Max Deibel
Cost: $5 DOC/ $12 non-DOC
Why: Because we need more hikes in the Sandwich Range
Join us Sunday for an exciting climb of Mt. Chocurua! The trail offers an enjoyable 8 mile hike to the mountain's bald summit, from which we will enjoy stunning views of the Presidentials and enjoy a nutritious lunch of sandwiches.
Blitz: Jon King for information or to sign-up

If you're not a DOC member, BECOME a DOC member.  $20 for an annual membership (memberships run from July 1 - June 30) or $50 for a student career membership (which expires June 30 of the year you graduate).  Contact Julie Bell to sign up.  Fees for trips as a DOC member are much less, and sometimes free.