CABIN-TRAIL Archives

March 2013, Week 4

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:37:11 +0000
To sign up for any trip, blitz the leader of that trip with your DA$H number (make sure you have money in your account!) or saying you'd like to pay in cash.  Your spot will be reserved once you pay.  If the trip is free, just blitz the leader to reserve a spot. Financial aid is available upon request so just let us know.

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY
The Feed!
Come to the Rock and eat a delicious home-cooked meal. Word on the street is it'll involve lentils and freshly-baked bread - yum. This week is particularly special, because it's the planning feed! If you have any ideas of what you want Cabin and Trail to do this term and/or you're interested in helping out more with the running of Cabin and Trail, you should come!
When: 7pm
Where: The Rock (16 Sargent Street - directions here: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml)
Cost: $4 (but free if you want to do dishes - blitz Vipul Kakkad if you're interested)

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY
Whistlestop Dinertoure

Ahh, spring is in the air. You know what that means: time to start
shirking responsibilities! When winter weighs heavy on the soul, you
have no excuses not to do what you're asked. But when the air is
toasty like it is today and blossoms abound, sometimes it's worth
going for a swim instead of doing that problem set. So get up early
this Thursday, grab a nice omelette in Fairlee, and spend the rest of
the day soaking up the fresh spring sun*!
Leaving at 6:30 behind Robo. Back by 9L x-hours. The ride is free, bring small bills
*Benji wrote this blurb from the jungle, so he can only assume it's
spring over here
Blitz: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> to RSVP!

What: Gile Sunsike (Sunset Hike)
When: 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM (sunset around 7)
Leader(s): Steve Tebbe, Hunter van Adelsberg
Why: Because what better way to celebrate the beginning of spring term than a quick hike and a panoramic sunset?
We'll meet at the back of Robo on Thursday afternoon, drive across the river to Gile Mountain, hike to the fire tower up top, watch the sun go down, and head back. A great way to get off campus and clear your head after the first week of classes!
Cost: Free for members, $3 for non-members.
Blitz: Hunter van Adelsberg to sign up or get more info.

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

Hiking! And Biking?!?!!
DO IT ALL.
Have a bike? Bring it.
Don’t have a bike? No problem, we have extras.
This Friday, Leaving at 2:30 from Robo, back to campus by 6:30
BIKING to Gile then HIKING to the fire tower
Pavement and compact dirt road so mountain or road bike should be fine.

*and with gluten free snacks for the allergic/ Jewish !
$3 for DOC $5 for non-DOC
Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with your DASH and if you need a bike to sign up or for more info!

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Hike Mt. Cardigan!
When: 9am-1pm
Come take a short hike up Mt. Cardigan! Thanks to a somewhat unfortunate wildfire, Mt. Cardigan has a bald summit, which means we'll get amazing views for minimal effort. Seriously, this is as good as it gets for view to effort ratios. The weather's looking warm and sunny, so sign up!
Cost: Free for DOC members, $3 for non-DOC members
Blitz: Max Deibel with your DASH to sign up or to get more info.

Moosilauke Bomber Snowshoe Bushwhack/ Orienteer
Leaving at 8 AM, getting back before dark
Cost: $3 for members; $5 for nonmembers
Come snowshoe up the ridge trail on moosilauke, figure out how to work maps, and try to locate WWII bomber wreckage. (http://www.logginginlincoln.com/Bomber_Crash.html)
Blitz Zach Martinez by Thursday morning  to sign up

What: Hiking Smarts Mountain
When: 11am-6pm on Saturday
Leaders: Jocelyn Powelson and Andrew Milligan
Why: We'll have an awesome time and some great views from the fire tower on top of Smarts!
Come hiking up Smarts (about half an hour from campus) and enjoy the last of winter. This will be a moderate 7.5 mile hike likely with snowshoes for part of it. We'll have lunch and lots of yummy snacks on the trail.
Cost: $8 DOC, $12 non-DOC
Blitz: Jocelyn Powelson with your DASH number to sign up or get more info

What: Easter at Armington Cabin!
When: 7:30pm Saturday to noon on Sunday
Leader(s): Jeremy Brouillet, Jesse Rieb
Why: Because what better way to spend Easter than waking up in a beautiful cabin in the woods?
Come spend a cozy overnight at Armington Cabin. We'll do a moderate but relatively short 2.2 mile hike up Mt. Piermont, and get to watch the sun rise from behind Mt. Moosilauke to illuminate the magnificent view from the top, including Lake Armington in the foreground. (ref Vipul et al). We'll head back to the cabin, have breakfast, and head back to campus.
Cost: $6 ($8 non-DOC members)
Blitz: Jeremy Brouillet to sign up or to get more info!

FUTURE FUTURE FUTURE

What: Vertical Challenge!
When: all of Spring Term
Leaders: you!
Why: Encourage healthy DOC sub-club competition.
The Vertical Challenge is an (almost) annual spring term contest in which DOC subclubs get points for leading trips. Points are calculated depending on miles traveled and vertical elevation gained/dropped while hiking, kayaking, climbing, etc. and depending on difficulty of the activity/weather/a few other factors. We would love to have an enthusiastic person to help keep track of points and keep the challenge alive.
Award: Eternal glory for the organizer and for whichever subclub wins
Blitz: Jocelyn Powelson if you would like to help organize this awesome inter-subclub activity

If you're not a DOC member, BECOME a DOC member.  $20 for an annual membership (memberships run from July 1 - June 30) or $50 for a student career membership (which expires June 30 of the year you graduate).  Contact Julie Bell to sign up.  Fees for trips as a DOC member are much less, and sometimes free.