CABIN-TRAIL Archives

January 2013, Week 5

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:00:23 +0000
Welcome to CnT! So many trips this week. So definitely go on one!

To sign up for any trip, blitz the leader of that trip with your DA$H number (make sure you have money in your account!) or saying you'd like to pay in cash.  Your spot will be reserved once you pay.  If the trip is free, just blitz the leader to reserve a spot. Financial aid is available upon request so just let us know.

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY
The Feed (with Graham)!
Come eat a delicious home-cooked meal at the Rock! The tentative menu includes curry and naan, and if that isn't enough to get you to come, Graham Findlay will be making a guest appearance all the way from Maine to cook. What more could you want?
When: Wednesday at 7pm
Where: The Rock (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml)
Cost: $4

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY
What: Becca's heeler overnight at John Rand Cabin
When: Friday after classes, back by 10 am Saturday
Why: Because you like cabins and/or Jesse T. Rieb and/or good food for cheap and/or fun.
Come hang out at John Rand with us on Friday night!  We'll be doing some cross-country skiing (maybe even tag!), eating yummy food, and cozying up with objectively good card/boardgames.
Cost: Only $1 for everyone!!!
Blitz: Rebecca Novello to get more info or sign up (if you want to sign up, send me your shoe size, height, and DA$H number)!

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY
CTF(OS!)
When: 3:30 - until we get tired
Where: DOC House/the golf course
Cost: Free (including ski rentals* if you need them!)
Your favorite acronymic activity is back! Capture The Flag (On Skis) is persevering despite the predicted lack of snow for Friday afternoon. Whether or not you've been on cross-country skis before, you are totally invited to join our game of CTF(OS)! It's actually a little-known fact that there is a very high chance that CTF(OS) will become the next sanctioned winter Olympic sport (circa 2022) so this is a prime chance to get some practice in if you're aiming for the gold.
Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> to sign up!
*If you need ski rentals, make sure to include your shoe size in the blitz!

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
What: Black Mountain and Ponds hike
When: 7:30 am to 7pm
Why: Because the Adirondacks are wonderful!
We will be driving to the closest hike in NY to Hanover. This beautiful 8 mile loop will take us over Black Mountain with wonderful views of the Adirondacks, Lake George, and the Green Mountains. Then we will hike by three lovely ponds.
Cost: $7 DOC / $12 non-members
Blitz Zachary Wood for more info or to sign up.

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
Sledding the Carriage Road
When: 9 am to teatime (approximately four in the afternoon).
Why you should come: We're going sledding. What more reason do you need?
But actually: come because we're heading up Moosilauke starting near the Lodge. It's a really beautiful area, and you'll get to see the Lodge all tucked up for the winter, a nice ice encrusted stream, lots of trees, lots of snow, and some really pretty trails. We'll hike up the trail as far as we want to carrying the sleds (expect four or more miles of hiking, majority uphill), and then speed back down.
Snacks, lunch and sleds will be provided, and we can get you gear if you need it. The hike will be moderate, the sledding intensely fun.
Cost: $5 DOC members, $8 non-DOC
Blitz: Anna Knowles to sign up or ask questions

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
Intro to Firebending Trip
2-4pm
Want to learn how to master the destructive force of fire? Want to join the powerful Fire Nation?
Come learn how to build a fire in the woods at Oak Hill this Saturday!
Surprise guest appearance by General Iroh of the Fire Nation. No previous firebending experience required.
*This counts toward your firebuild requirement to ascend to be a wilderness leader.
Cost: Free for DOC members, $1 for nonmembers
Blitz Annie Laurie Mauhs-Pugh to sign up

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
Sunset at the Skiway!
What: Hike Holt's Ledge
When: 2:30 PM - 6 PM
Cost: free for DOC members, $4 for non-DOC members
Because: Sunsets are awesome. This is a fact of life. So what better way to spend your Saturday afternoon than by hiking up the Appalachian Trail just 1.2 miles to Holt's Ledge to see a beautiful sunset? On Holt's Ledge, if you're lucky, you can also spot peregrine falcons, an endangered species that still inhabits the area at the top of the Skiway. It doesn't take long at all for this hike to get us up to some amazing views, which is just another of the many reasons to come.
Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with your Da$h to sign up!

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
What: Greenfield contra dance
When: Saturday, 6 pm to 1 am at the latest
Why: BECAUSE THIS WILL BE THE GREATEST NIGHT OF YOUR LIFE (besides Becca's heeler overnight)
The Greenfield contra dance brings people from all over New England into a jam-packed room full of overwhelming joy and men in skirts.  It's always awesome, and a great band called Wild Asparagus is playing this week!  ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY AT ALL WHATSOEVER (seriously, though, your first contra dance is a very special thing)
Cost: $2 for DOC members, $10 for non-members; an additional $8 cash at the door for the dance
Blitz: Rebecca Novello to get more info or sign up!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY
Sunday Fun Day at Gile!
What: Hike Gile Mountain
When: 10 AM - 12:30 PM
Cost: Free for DOC members, $3 for non-DOC members
Why: What's the best way to start off your Sunday morning? Probably not with a hangover, and definitely not with worrying about how much work you have to do. That's why you should come hike Gile Mountain with us! Gile is a short (we mean it - only 3/4 mile to the top) hike up to a super-cool fire tower that you can climb for amazing views of the Upper Valley. There will be hot beverages, and cold beverages, and all sorts of other fun things.
Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with your Da$h to sign up!

If you're not a DOC member, BECOME a DOC member.  $20 for an annual membership (memberships run from July 1 - June 30) or $50 for a student career membership (which expires June 30 of the year you graduate).  Contact Julie Bell to sign up.  Fees for trips as a DOC member are much less, and sometimes free.