MACSCRPT Archives

December 2012

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mark Lively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:38:20 +0000
On Dec 13, 2012, at 1:28 PM, Bill Steele <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

> I have a script that reads a series of Filemaker records, doing some processing and writing out a file based on each one. As it goes along it accumulates some information (title, abstract, filename, etc.) about each item in an Applescript record; at the end it read throughout the recoed and writes out a summary -- essentially a table of contents.
>
> All fine until we upgraded to Mountain Lion. Now it reads two or three records and then hangs in the middle of the next one. At first I though one of the Filemaker records was corrupted, but switching them around doesn't change the results. It seems as if Applescript is saying "Hey, I can only do so much of this and then I have to quit." The information read in from the Filemaker record presumably is overwritten each time, as it's assigned to the same Applescript variable. The best idea I can come up within that Applescript can only store so much information ion its own record. Or that the stuff being read in *doesn't* feet flushed.
>
> Ran the same script on a machine running Tiger. No problems.
>
> Any ideas?

A lot has changed between mountain lion and tiger.

I know records used to have issues where they leaked some memory but that was fixed.

Do you know where it is hanging?  Writing to the files? Reading from filemaker?

Are you using the same version of Filemaker both places?  I know Filemaker broke a lot of Applescript support someplace between 9 and 11 and I've caught some nasty resource leaks in 11 that weren't in 10.

-Mark
Who wrote a filemaker plugin to plug said resource leak.