MACSCRPT Archives

December 2012

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mark Lively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 19:19:23 +0000
On Dec 13, 2012, at 1:42 PM, Emmanuel LEVY <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

> Do your records include many many keys?
>
> We were hit by a limit on the number of "keys" that AppleScript can store, those "keys" including the records' keys, all the variables' names and all the handlers' names.
>
> This is easily tested:
>
> --------
> display dialog "ready to bug?"
> repeat with i from 1 to 10000
> 	try
> 		run script "set r to {|" & i & "|:1}"
> 	on error -- Internal Table Overflow: your app is no longer usable, quit ASAP
> 		display dialog i
> 		exit repeat
> 	end try
> end repeat
> --------
>
> Emmanuel

That is horrifying.  It's like the old 32k limit on script size.

I just did a test and I hit the same limit on Tiger.  Intriguingly, on 9.2 I hit the limit at half of that.  Which means someone thought to kinda fix it at some point.

So this isn't the problem.

-Mark
Some days I feel like I am an experimental archeologist.