CABIN-TRAIL Archives

September 2012, Week 3

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:32:09 +0000
**Come on a cabin and trail trip this week! Blitz back the contact person for each trip to sign up or to receive more information. We want as many people to go on a trip as possible so if the cost of a trip may prevent you from going on it then let us know and we can figure something out.**

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY
Dinertoure: Good Eaton's
I'm willing to bet that all of you, upon telling someone you're going to Dartmouth, have been told, "You're going to go far in life!" This week's Dinertoure is for those who are really willing to go the extra mile. As Eaton's Sugarhouse's founder, Lao-tzu Eaton, once said, "a journey of a thousand deliciousnesses begins with a single 45 minute bus ride." Located in South Royalton VT, right next to the Pillars of Hercules, Eaton's Sugarhouse is truly a gem. In terms of breakfast perfection, there is nothing beyond their raspberry chocolate chip pancakes.
We'll leave from behind Robo at 6:30, back before 9Ls.
To RSVP blitz dinerbro, dinersaur, or dinermatrix with the subject line Dinertoure.
The ride is free, bring small bills.

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY
The Feed!
Come to the Rock ( http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml ) this Wednesday at 7pm to eat a delicious home cooked meal, courtesy of chefs Krystyna Oszkinis and Vipul Kakkad. Menu is yet to be announced, but both have a history of cooking wonderful meals, so hopes are high. The meal is just $4 for upperclassmen and FREE for '16s, so come on down and enjoy! After dinner we'll be watching Kill Bill Vol. 2 for those who are interested!
**Come to the Rock at 7pm OR meet behind Robo at 6:45pm to walk over with Kyle Heppenstall, who will show you a cool shortcut**

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY
Presidential Traverse
When: 6pm Friday until very late Saturday night/Sunday morning
Difficulty: Extreme, one of the most difficult trips CnT ever runs. You should be in excellent condition and have experience hiking.
What: 23 miles, seven peaks, 9,000 feet of elevation gain, mainly above tree-line. We will be staying at Billings Cabin Friday night, waking up well before the crack of dawn, doing the entire hike in a single day, and returning that night or Sunday morning depending on the condition people are in.
Cost: $12 for DOC members, $16 for non-members.
Blitz Jeremy Brouillet with your DASH number and relevant experience by 7pm on Wednesday to sign up.

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
Mahoosuc Notch Hike
What: Mahoosuc notch is one of the wildest places in the White Mountains, a boulder-strewn chasm between just over the border in Maine which has been called the "toughest mile" of the AT by many through-hikers. After a night in the beautiful Billlings Cabin, we will hike to this remote and beautiful place, explore the caves and mounds through which the trail passes, and continue on to speck pond, one of the highest mountain ponds in Maine. The round trip will be about 9 miles, with an option to make a side trip to Old Speck mountain, the third tallest in Maine (weather permitting, round trip 12 miles).
When: 8pm Saturday to 6pm Sunday
Cost: $8 DOC, $12non-DOC
Blitz: wales carter w/ Da$h number to sign up, to ask questions, or to inquire about the co-leader position

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
Nummemacher Cabin Overnight + Holt’s Ledge Sunrike!
Spend your evening cooking (and then eating!) a delicious dinner at the comfy Nunnemacher Cabin, nestled in the woods close to the Skiway, and then call it an early night, so you can get plenty of sleep. You’ll then wake up before the crack of dawn to hike less than a mile to Holt’s Ledge to watch an absolutely stunning sunrise from the east-facing cliffs (and maybe even see a Peregrine Falcon on its early morning glide!) while you eat breakfast!
We’ll leave campus at 5:30 pm on Saturday, and be back by 10 am on Sunday.
Cost: $7 for DOC members, $10 for non-members
If you have any questions, or want to sign up, blitz Ben Bauer with your Da$h number!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY
Mt Osceola + LODGE DINNER
Considered by many to be one of the best views in the White Mountains, this moderate-ish 6-mile hike will be heading out around 9am on Sunday to hike this 4,000 footer and then stop at the Lodge for delicious, hot LODGE DINNER on the way back to.  The views from the rocky summit are FANTASTIC, and definitely worth the hike.  If that wasn't enough to get you to come, Nicki Minaj is rumored to make an appearance.
We got you covered for lunch+snacks.  Plan on leaving campus around 9 am Sunday morning and getting back around 9-9:30 pm.
Cost: $5 DOC, $8 for non-members; plus $8 for delicious lodge dinner
Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> (blitzname: Wasko) with your ID to sign up for a killer hike with a killer view!!

MOSTDAYS MOSTDAYS MOSTDAYS
Woodsmen's Team Practice
We are the Dartmouth Woodsmen's Team, and we practice and compete in
lumberjack events. We will decide our weekly practice schedule tonight, and
we will be blitzing it out soon. If you are interested in chopping, sawing,
rolling, climbing, tossing, or burning wood, send us a blitz at
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, and we will put you on our blitz
list. We are totally beginner-friendly and would love to have you come out
to a practice!