UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2012, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2012 22:10:05 -0400
I had 3 exciting avian encounters today on a late-afternoon run.
Ironically, this was one of my shortest runs of the summer and the ONLY
one in months on which I didn't wear my eyeglasses.

As I started out, a blackbird-size passerine rocketed over the tree tops
with a likely Cooper's Hawk in hot pursuit. After a few abrupt
maneuvers, the bird escaped.

A half-mile later I saw a medium-large unidentified animal cross the
road up ahead. So did my dog, who raced ahead. When I arrived at the
crossing site, a Turkey exploded into the air amidst rather thick
alders, narrowly escaping the dog's jaws.

As we were finishing the run, 8 Ruffed Grouse sequentially scattered
into the air from beside the road, much to the dog's delight. This is
the largest number of grouse we've seen together at this location.

Finally, I'll note that this dog rarely disturbs wildlife - other than
squirrels - and is discouraged from doing so.

Doug Hardy, Norwich