CABIN-TRAIL Archives

July 2012, Week 2

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:29:39 +0000
It's a beautiful day in Hanover, NH.  Don't you want to go outside?

If you want to be on the CnT listserv (to keep getting this blitz every week), let us know!
If you want to be on the social CnT blitz list (chubbers), let us know!
If you're interested in leading/coleading trips/becoming a CnT leader, also let us know!

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY

Da Lodge!
Time: Leaving 5pm, back ~10pm
Cost: You will be charged $8 for lodge dinner, but the ride is free for DOC members or a few dollars if you're not one.
Get ready for one of the most delicious meals of your life in what has been called "real outdoors" by city folk (but is in reality the quite comfy and most definitely indoors Moosilauke Ravine Lodge)! Whether your a Lodge regular or haven't been since freshman trips, this trip is for you! No messing around with hiking, swimming, or any other nonsense - if you can eat, you should come!
Blitz: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if you want to sign up.

Gile Sunset Hike!
Time: 7:30pm-9:30pm
Cost: Free for DOC members! ($2 for non)
Description: This easy 1.4 mile roundtrip hike will take us to the top of the Gile fire tower to watch the sun set.  The weather should be perfect, the views gorgeous, and the ride free (or almost free).  What more could you want out of a Thursday evening?
Blitz: Kaila Pedersen with your DASH to sign up!

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

The Feed!
When the legendary chubber-chef Juan Sanchez had a PE class that conflicted with feeds every Wednesday, did that deter him from cooking the feed? Nay! He altered the course of history by cooking the first ‘Midnight Munch’ – A feed that would be served in the dark, and be a source of merriment into the wee hours of the night! This week, Rochele Brown and Vipul Kakkad will follow in the footsteps of Chef Sanchez, and cook the second Midnight Munch, which will be held on the Rock porch, so as not to rouse the slumber of those that dwell in the Rock.
What is this ‘Rock’, you say? Well, this ancient scroll will tell you all you need to know: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml<http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Ecabtrail/rock.shtml>
$4 to eat, and PJs highly encouraged.

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

RUN THE TRAILS!
Duration: Leaving at 2, getting back 4:30
Difficulty: however difficult you would like! (No experience necessary!), should be ~3-4 miles of running
Tired of running on the streets or treadmill? Hungering for some off-roading that's not Pine Park or Mink Brook? Then join us for an afternoon of escaping from the sun and exploring some trails a bit farther away. We'll head out to Holt's Ledge by the Skiway, running on parts of the AT and adventuring through the woods until we reach the cliff ledge at Holt's, where extensive views of the area can be enjoyed on a clear afternoon.
Blitz: Jen Estrada for more information!

Presidential Traverse!!!
Where: Presidential Range, White Mtns.
Time: Leaving Friday afternoon (around 4pm) and returning very late Saturday night
Cost: $15 DOC
Description: The Presidential Traverse is a strenuous ~24 mile hike with nearly 10,000 feet of elevation gain and spectacular views. We will leave Friday afternoon, sleep in a campground near the trail head, and start hiking around 5am the next morning. We will hike all day with plenty of delicious snacks to keep us going. We should return very late Saturday night (might be Sunday morning if drivers are too tired to safely return that night).
Difficulty: Very difficult. This is one of the most strenuous day-hikes in the area. Previous full-day hiking experience necessary.
Blitz: Jocelyn Powelson with your DASH number to sign up

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

Event: Trailwork and Lodge Dinner
Time: 10am-9pm
Cost: Free!!
Description/Difficulty: Strenuous.  We'll be doing trail work with Trail Crew at a location still to be determined (hopefully near Moosilauke).  We'll drive to our location Saturday morning and meet up with trail crew for a day of good work and some fun.  Then, in the evening we'll head to the Lodge and reward ourselves with a delicious dinner and some relaxation!  Lunch and snacks are included.
Blitz: Alannah Linkhorn with your DASH to sign up.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

Mt. Chocorua Hike!
When: Sunday 8 AM to 7 PM
Description: This trip combines Cabin and Trail's two favorite activities -- hiking and eating! We will be hiking the lovely Mt. Chocorua. Located in the Sandwich Range, it's about an 8-mile round trip, moderate hiking, with some rock-scrambling near the top and some pretty cool views. On the way back we'll stop at the Sandwich Creamery for delicious ice cream.
Difficulty: Moderate
Cost: $5 DOC, $8 non-DOC, and bring your own money for ice cream!
Blitz: Rosemary Shay with your DASH number to sign up.